Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hot air in Jet Engine

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    When fuel is burnt in the jet engine, what is the major component of the hot gases thrown out of the back - the CO2 formed (I know CO2 is not the only component but it is the major one) from the fuel or the air entering the jet as a whole?

In other words, does the heat of the burning fuel spread very quickly to the surrounding air in the jet or does it take a lot of time?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Basic turbine emissions are Oxygen, some trace inert gases, water vapor and carbon dioxide. When we do emissions testing for our certification programs the basic areas we focus in on are:

- CO (carbon monoxide)
    - NOx (oxides of nitrogen)
    - smoke
    - Unburned hydrocarbons

The basic fuel used in civil aviation is JET-A which is a kerosene based fuel.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. The cycle is a continuous process, so once it starts, it is constantly going. Obviously, the rate at which the heat gets to the airflow in the engine will depend on quite a few things, but the effect happens quite quickly. Turbine inlet temps (ITT's) can spike up in less time than it takes your eyes to notice it has happened.

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

H20 makes up the majority of just about any fuel being burned.

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd suggest atmospheric nitrogen...

6. Apr 16, 2005 #5

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In addition to what Fred has said, I would say the main damage of Jet turbines are NOx. Although all heat engines exhaust NOx, Jet turbines are the unique which do this at high altittude.

Usually NOx compounds need a lot of time (of order of years) to reach high atmospheric layers. On the other hand, jet engines exhaust NOx just at high heights saving up that time of delay and damaging the Ozone Layer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?