Hot & Spicy Foods: Why Do They Make Us Sweat & Clear Our Sinuses?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, the conversation discussed the effects of spicy food on the body, including sweating and clearing sinuses. The group also wondered why spicy food feels hot and the possible role of capsaicin in this sensation. It was suggested that the body may be tricked into sweating due to the sense of pain and heat caused by spicy food.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So I was wondering (after laughing at a hilarious Seinfeld episode as usual) something, why does spicy food make people sweat? Also, why do some foods seemingly set off a bomb in your sinuses and clear them out pretty dang well? I've had chicken that was about 100x more effective then any cold medicines I've ever had when it came to relieving a stuffed up nose and things like that.

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know why spicy foods do this, but I do have to agree with you on the effectiveness of spicy foods to clear your sinuses.

I don't know either, but would the episode happen to have been the one where George is eating the kung pao chicken? :-)

andrewchang said:
I don't know either, but would the episode happen to have been the one where George is eating the kung pao chicken? :-)

Yes sir!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I wonder why the food feels hot too... i mean I've eaten some cold cold chicken before that "burnt" my mouth ten ways to sunday.

spicy (picante) things like tabasco have capsacin. capsacin is a type of molecule known as a phorbol ester, and will bind protein kinases such as PKC. maybe this plays a role in the physiology.

Maybe since you have a sense of painful heat in your mouth your brain thinks its time to sweat because of the pain and/or heat?

yep Mk, that's right...we are tricked into sweating.

1. Why do hot and spicy foods make us sweat?

Spicy foods contain a compound called capsaicin, which activates the same nerve receptors that respond to heat. When we eat spicy foods, our body's natural response is to cool down by sweating.

2. How does capsaicin affect our sinuses?

Capsaicin can stimulate the nerves in our nasal passages, causing them to release more mucus. This can help clear out congestion and make us feel like our sinuses are "clearing".

3. Is there a difference between sweating from spicy food and sweating from exercise?

Yes, there is a difference. Sweating from spicy food is a response to the capsaicin, while sweating from exercise is a response to an increase in body temperature. Spicy foods do not actually raise our body temperature, so the sweat produced is not the same as when we exercise.

4. Can eating spicy foods have any health benefits?

Yes, there are several potential health benefits to eating spicy foods. Capsaicin has been linked to improved digestion, increased metabolism, and pain relief. Spicy foods are also often high in antioxidants and can add flavor to dishes without adding extra calories.

5. Is it possible to build a tolerance to spicy foods?

Yes, it is possible to build a tolerance to spicy foods. Over time, our taste buds can become less sensitive to the effects of capsaicin, meaning we may need to eat spicier foods to get the same level of heat. This can vary from person to person and can also be influenced by genetics.