Exploring Heat Transfer: The Leidenfrost Effect and Walking on Hot Coals

In summary, walking on hot coals and spilling liquid nitrogen on one's hand both involve open systems where heat is either leaving or entering the system. The detection of temperature and the presence of a good insulator play a role in preventing serious burns in both cases. However, the length of time in contact with the hot coal or liquid nitrogen can determine the extent of damage. The Leidenfrost effect may also contribute to the minimal damage in the case of liquid nitrogen.
tacloban87
I've always wondered how people are able to walk on hot coal without suffering from burns.

Moreover, earlier, a teacher demonstrated to my class how if one spills liquid nitrogen on one's hand in open air that one does not suffer from frostbite, but only feels the cold temperature.

I got to thinking that the explanation for these two cases are in some way related to one another...is it because they are both open systems? So with the hot coal, heat is leaving the system, but with the liquid nitrogen, heat is entering the system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats pretty much it - What is detecting the temperature and what is between that and the heat source/sink?

I would say through experimentations/showing off as a stupid student both do actually burn but only very superficially. How would that actually help you?

P.S. don't be like me, whilst it earnt me shed loads of beer and loads of admiring sighs from the gals, I had a nasty burn where a coal kicked up and landed on the top of my foot whilst walking through a beach BBQ.

How long is the foot in contact with the coals or the hand in contact with the liquid nitrogen? Certainly the greater the difference in temperatures, the faster damage takes place- but it still requires a specific amount of time.

Nitrogen gas is a good insulator. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_effect" about the way a small droplet of liquid nitrogen will tend to quickly skitter off of your hand, without taking the time to absorb noticeable heat from your skin. However, if the liquid nitrogen isn't allowed to run off, your skin will keep cooling down.. the process will obviously rocket once the outer layer of dead skin cools too much, then it's just a question of whether the amount of heat stolen from your hand was enough to do serious damage (and if you stick the frostbite straight under a cold water tap, you might be able to curb the damage spread).

Similarly, though coals are hot they don't have the highest heat capacity and they especially don't conduct heat very well. I presume it only takes an instant to equalise the temperature of the hard sole surface of your foot with the top surface of the coal, but you get several seconds before too much heat is conducted into your foot from the other parts of the coal.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the temperature of hot coal and liquid nitrogen?

Hot coal typically has a temperature of around 700-900 degrees Celsius, while liquid nitrogen has a temperature of -196 degrees Celsius.

2. Can hot coal and liquid nitrogen be safely handled?

No, hot coal and liquid nitrogen should not be handled with bare hands as they can cause severe burns. Proper protective gear and training are necessary for handling these substances.

3. How are hot coal and liquid nitrogen used in scientific research?

Hot coal and liquid nitrogen have a wide range of applications in scientific research, such as in cryogenics, materials science, and chemical reactions. They are also used in experiments to study extreme temperatures and their effects on various materials.

4. Is it safe to combine hot coal and liquid nitrogen?

No, combining hot coal and liquid nitrogen can be extremely dangerous. The extreme temperature difference can cause the liquid nitrogen to rapidly boil and potentially explode, resulting in serious injuries.

5. What precautions should be taken when working with hot coal and liquid nitrogen?

When working with hot coal and liquid nitrogen, proper safety precautions should be taken, such as wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and having a fire extinguisher nearby. It is also important to have proper training and knowledge of the substances before handling them.