What industries will see growth in the next 10 years?

• Thread starter Jordan Joab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future Hot
In summary, the conversation focused on discussing industries that are expected to grow in the next 10 years. Healthcare, energy, and security were identified as key industries, with specific areas such as biotechnology, alternative fuels, and IT security highlighted. Other industries mentioned include material physics and nanotechnology, medical imaging, and mathematical consulting. It was also noted that China is currently a leading country in the development of new materials.
Jordan Joab
I liked the "most useful 4yrs degree" and want to get a similar discussion started on industries. Let's hear what careers fields you think are going to grow in the next 10 years.

Here's my list (easy list):

Healthcare: Population grows and new diseases appear. Nurses, doctors, EMTs, therapists, psychologists, virologists, etc. will not be out of jobs.

Energy: The hybrid craze is going full speed. When garbage becomes more profitable than oil expect to see Shell garbage trucks making the rounds around your neighborhood.

Security: Responsibility or sheer fear will drive us to create cheaper, efficient technologies to protect ourselves and our "privacy." From airports to shopping centers and online banking servers to warzones, smarter software, robots, and methods will be developed to achieve this goal.

Jordan Joab.

Physics news on Phys.org
Healthcare is currently in a miserable state so you have to really love helping people to put up with insurance companies among other things. I think Biotechnology is an emerging field which is perfect for an bioengineering major but you really need at least a MS before you can get a good job in that.

Research in alternative fuels is vital because the oil wells will run dry in about 80 years.

Work involving Defense contractors is subject to change at any time because your livelihood depends on the government funding your company so it can be risky.

That's just my take but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Agriculture, transportation, and other infrastructure...6.666.666.666 billion people can't be wrong, right?

Medical for the same reason, but everyone already knows that one for the most part.

Flying car sales.

Energy research/development

IT security

Quantum computer chips

Arclight reactors

will.c said:
Flying car sales.

I was told back in 1985 we would have flying cars by 2000. What the heck happened?!

Jordan Joab.

Jordan Joab said:
I was told back in 1985 we would have flying cars by 2000. What the heck happened?!

Jordan Joab.

Simple. It's just like cold fusion; the technology of the future, by definition, is always in the future. Cold fusion has been 20 years away for as long as I've been alive, at least.

I think these are the the industries of the immiediate future (maybe something that is more interesting for people that are getting a degree in only a couple of years from now?)

material physics/nanotechnology

This field will be huge. As it is today. Only that the rules will change and new very sick materials will emerge that was never thought of today. Quantum engineering for the win? Besides old industries like steel (for us europeans/asians) will always need a good physicist.

Medical imaging

Like the medical fields up in the first post. This one is a winner, because medical imaging will always be in limelight. People will always be sick and in the need of a quick diagnosis.

mathematical consulting

There will always be a need of people organizing and giving structure to raw data. There will also always be a need of people that can model very complex problems useing FEM, FDM-analysis.

a.s.o., this list could grow very large. But I will stop there and listen to some of the other peeps input.

Fearless said:
I think these are the the industries of the immiediate future (maybe something that is more interesting for people that are getting a degree in only a couple of years from now?)

material physics/nanotechnology

This field will be huge. As it is today. Only that the rules will change and new very sick materials will emerge that was never thought of today. Quantum engineering for the win? Besides old industries like steel (for us europeans/asians) will always need a good physicist.

Medical imaging

Like the medical fields up in the first post. This one is a winner, because medical imaging will always be in limelight. People will always be sick and in the need of a quick diagnosis.

mathematical consulting

There will always be a need of people organizing and giving structure to raw data. There will also always be a need of people that can model very complex problems useing FEM, FDM-analysis.

a.s.o., this list could grow very large. But I will stop there and listen to some of the other peeps input.
china is a currently leading country in new material.

What are the "Hot Industries Of The Future"?

The "Hot Industries Of The Future" refer to the industries that are expected to experience significant growth and success in the coming years. These industries often involve new technologies, changing consumer demands, and emerging markets.

What are some examples of "Hot Industries Of The Future"?

Some examples of "Hot Industries Of The Future" include renewable energy, biotechnology, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and e-commerce. These industries are expected to revolutionize the way we live and work in the future.

Why are these industries considered to be "hot"?

These industries are considered to be "hot" because they have the potential to generate high profits and create new job opportunities. They also have a significant impact on society and can drive economic growth.

What skills are needed to work in these "hot" industries?

Working in these "hot" industries often requires a combination of technical skills, such as programming or engineering, as well as soft skills like creativity, adaptability, and problem-solving. It is important to continuously update and develop skills to stay competitive in these industries.

What are the challenges facing these "hot" industries?

While these industries offer many opportunities, they also face challenges such as changing regulations, competition, and ethical considerations. Additionally, as technology continues to advance, there is a need for continuous innovation and adaptation to stay ahead in these industries.

Back