1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hot-Melt system design project

1. Feb 6, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I have been given a project to design a system that can "bead deposit" thermoplastic. I have found this resource,

It is basically an adhesive deposition system used for packaging in industry.

So I think this is a good place to start, by trying to create a simplified version of this.

I was thinking of an open top tank that would heat the thermoplastic, this would be connected to a geared pump, which in turn would be connected to an automatic solenoid valve.

does anybody have an experience with this sort of system or suggestions? would this work? or would i need a pressurized tank? What would be my first step to build a system like this?

NOTE: i do not need to create the x-y movement axis, or anything else, just the process of melting the material and depositing it

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

I think melting an entire tank of plastic is excessive. Just heat the nozzle and force the solid plastic through, just like a fdm 3d printer or hot glue gun works. No need for a valve.

4. Feb 9, 2015 #3
    @billy_joule Hey, thanks for your reply. That's a good point. Would i be able to achieve the bead deposition with this method? I should have stated as well in my original question, that ideally this machine should be able to deposit around 1500-300 beads per minute, would this be achievable using fdm?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook