Hot or Cold Shower: Health Benefits of Regular Showers

• Thread starter ranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold Hot
In summary, it is better to take a hot or cold shower after a regular days work i.e. not after exercising? I personally enjoy very warm showers regardless of the season.
ranger
Gold Member
It is better to take a hot or cold shower after a regular days work i.e. not after exercising? I personally enjoy very warm showers regardless of the season. I was just wondering if there are any health benefits to either.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like warm to hot showers. It's even better with someone to massage one's back and shoulders.

I when I work out or run, I like to do a hot shower with a cold rinse once I have to soap washed off. :biggrin:

I prefer warm. One fellow that I worked with on the paper machine would take a very short hot shower and rinse followed by a long very cold cold rinse. Needless to say, he was not a popular person to stand near in the showers since nobody wanted to be treated to the icy-cold spray bouncing off him. He claimed that the cold water closed the pores, and put him in a more relaxed mood by the time he got home so he could sleep better. We often worked some brutal rotating shifts, so maybe his system worked for him.

I should mention that our paper machine had one of the hottest, wettest, machine-rooms in the business, despite our location in Maine. I did a dryer-section tech survey on a machine in Alabama once in the summer, and found it MUCH more comfortable than SD Warren's Somerset mill in Maine.

turbo-1 said:
I prefer warm. One fellow that I worked with on the paper machine would take a very short hot shower and rinse followed by a long very cold cold rinse. Needless to say, he was not a popular person to stand near in the showers since nobody wanted to be treated to the icy-cold spray bouncing off him. He claimed that the cold water closed the pores, and put him in a more relaxed mood by the time he got home so he could sleep better. We often worked some brutal rotating shifts, so maybe his system worked for him.

It is true. It would be best to wash your self with warm water and soap with one of those shower sponge things. Then once your done your shower just put the water to as cold as your body can take and it'll close your pores right up. The warm water will open them up so this way while your cleaning you get into all your pores, especially with one of those sponge things. :smile:

Warm showers take longer to finish than the cold showers. I found that with cold shower, I finish off withing 2 minutes but warm showers can last to like 20 minutes.

Normally I go just warm enough that its not chilly. After a workout/sports I go pretty warm (not scalding) and after I'm clean I rinse off slowly turning down the knob to cold like every 7 seconds another turn, until it turns off.

I feel like hot showers scald my skin, dry it out, and make me sweat as soon as I get out, which defeats the purpose of showering...

I always feel better after a hot shower. I can't stand cold showers.

As far as benefits I would imagine that a hot shower helps ease muscle tension. I am unsure how a cold shower might effect tense muscles. I am thinking it may be bad but I have no idea. I noted that the persons mentioned above who took cold showers would use hot or warm water first.

I tried the cold shower a few times. I find that shaving after a cold shower really gives an unpleasant experience (with a fairly new blade). After shaving, I really don't have that fresh feeling as I do with a very warm shower. Furthermore, the way I usually shave with warm water on the face, then a facial cleanser, followed by shaving. Finally, I finish with relatively cold water on the face to close the pours. Starting with a cold shower breaks my routine. I can see where starting off warm then switching cold does good for the pores, but is it necessary for the entire body?

And what about shrinkage? :rofl:

ranger said:
I tried the cold shower a few times. I find that shaving after a cold shower really gives an unpleasant experience (with a fairly new blade). After shaving, I really don't have that fresh feeling as I do with a very warm shower. Furthermore, the way I usually shave with warm water on the face, then a facial cleanser, followed by shaving. Finally, I finish with relatively cold water on the face to close the pours. Starting with a cold shower breaks my routine. I can see where starting off warm then switching cold does good for the pores, but is it necessary for the entire body?

And what about shrinkage? :rofl:

Yeah cold water after shaving anywhere is very good. Reduces irritation, ingrown hairs, inflammations... rashes etc. etc.

I wouldn't say that it's necessary but it's probably a good idea to end your shower with cold water.

EDIT: Here's some interesting facts lol :smile:
http://www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/2008/04/4-reasons-why-you-need-to-take-cold-showers/

ranger said:
It is better to take a hot or cold shower after a regular days work i.e. not after exercising?

That depends if being alone or not.

rootX said:
Warm showers take longer to finish than the cold showers. I found that with cold shower, I finish off withing 2 minutes but warm showers can last to like 20 minutes.

:rofl: I can finish a cold shower just by looking at it! I don't like being cold. When I was in Mozambique, when I visited the mission clinic there, the "shower" was basically a hand-held spray nozzle over a drain with ICE cold water. I didn't actually think you could get such cold water in such a warm climate. Needless to say, only the most essential body parts got washed that day.

In his younger days, my bf used to like to do that douse with cold water after a hot shower thing. He learned quickly that it wasn't a good way to keep me close. He still likes to hop out into a cold room...I make him just hand me a towel while I stay in the shower with the curtain closed.

The only time I like a cold shower is in summer if I've been outside working and am overheated and need to cool off quickly. But even then, I'll end up turning the shower back warmer before I get out.

Ironically, where I'm at, as the temperature get's lower, so do my showers. I find that in times like now when it's cold, it tends to also be very dry. If I take hot showers, my skin gets very dry, I can even get some bad itchy dry scalp.

I find if I just take lukewarm or cool showers, it completely remedies the situation.

Cold showers aren't so bad if you gradually turn the hot water off during the shower. I've got into the shower before with all cold water to start, since there was no hot water. That'll put hair on your chest.

I prefer hot showers. I realize that the water coming out of the head of my shower will never reach a temperature which could actually kill harmful bacteria or germs; however, it relaxes my muscles. Also, as Astronuc mentioned, massages are great -- especially after a hot shower.

I prefer hot showers. I realize that the water coming out of the head of my shower will never reach a temperature which could actually kill harmful bacteria or germs
How hot does the water have to be to kill them? Cause mine gets steaming hot. Steaming°F isn't hot enough?

leroyjenkens said:
How hot does the water have to be to kill them? Cause mine gets steaming hot. Steaming°F isn't hot enough?

I believe, from what I've learned, at the very least the water should be about 43°C (110°F) to kill certain types of bacteria.

Dembadon said:
I believe, from what I've learned, at the very least the water should be about 43°C (110°F) to kill certain types of bacteria.

I hope your water gets hotter than that. There are people who have had fevers higher than that.

leroyjenkens said:
Dembadon said:
I hope your water gets hotter than that. There are people who have had fevers higher than that.

Water temperature and body temperture are very different, though. I'd be willing to bet that you could not stand in water of that temperature for very long.

rootX said:
I found that with cold shower, I finish off withing 2 minutes but warm showers can last to like 20 minutes.

And with me, a warm bath can last a couple of hours. Aaaahhhh... :!)

leroyjenkens said:
Cold showers aren't so bad if you gradually turn the hot water off during the shower. I've got into the shower before with all cold water to start, since there was no hot water. That'll put hair on your chest.

Try going from hot to cold all of a sudden. The classic way to finish a sauna in Finland is to run outside and roll in the snow or jump into a cold lake. I've never done it that way myself, but I've done it with a bucket of cold water and it's a rather invigorating tingling sensation.

jtbell said:
And with me, a warm bath can last a couple of hours. Aaaahhhh... :!)

A few years ago we bought a deep soaker jacuzzi tub. There have a been plenty of nights when I was restless and couldn't sleep, so I jumped into the tub. It is amazing how relaxing it can be! Not only I have fallen asleep in there a few times now, but hitting the water is like taking a shot of morphine - the effects are almost immediate.

We have an aux heater that keeps the water juuuuuuuuuust right.

1. What are the health benefits of taking a regular hot or cold shower?

Taking a regular hot or cold shower has numerous health benefits. A hot shower can help improve blood circulation, reduce muscle tension and pain, and promote relaxation. On the other hand, a cold shower can boost the immune system, increase alertness, and improve skin and hair health.

2. Which is better for the body, a hot or cold shower?

Both hot and cold showers have their own health benefits, so it ultimately depends on personal preference and individual health needs. Some people may find hot showers more relaxing, while others may prefer the invigorating feeling of a cold shower.

3. How often should I take a hot or cold shower for maximum health benefits?

It is recommended to take a shower at least once a day for good hygiene. However, the frequency of hot or cold showers for maximum health benefits can vary depending on individual needs and preferences. Some people may benefit from taking a hot shower daily, while others may find benefits from alternating between hot and cold showers.

4. Can taking regular hot or cold showers improve mental health?

Yes, regular hot or cold showers can have positive effects on mental health. The relaxation and invigorating benefits of a hot or cold shower can help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression. Additionally, the release of endorphins during a hot or cold shower can improve mood and promote feelings of well-being.

5. Are there any risks associated with taking hot or cold showers?

For most people, taking a hot or cold shower is generally safe and beneficial. However, individuals with certain health conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, or skin conditions should consult with a doctor before regularly taking hot or cold showers. It is also important to avoid extreme temperatures and to listen to your body's cues during a shower.