Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hot topics of EE

1. Dec 4, 2006 #1
    In your opinion what are the top specializations of EE that are in demand. What is the hardest to get into and yet most rewarding? I've taken some introductory courses in the following subjects and done pretty well. Right now I see myself going into Analog but I am so interested in RF. Is RF very demanding in the job market?

Analog, Digital, RF, Solid-State, Signals, Communications, Control Systems, Computer Engineering topics....

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

RF is heating up, and would be a good choice. The first six specialties in your list all look good....

4. Dec 5, 2006 #3
    Analog has its advantages, in that digital is becoming so incredibly popular that good analog folks can be hard to find.

For example, we've yet to make the power supply obsolete, and it is still largely analog (yet morphing towards more digital each year). There aren't an incredibly large number of young power supply designers.

5. Dec 7, 2006 #4
    so you're saying "computer engineering" isn't that hot?

6. Dec 7, 2006 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Correctomundo. IMHO, Computer Engineering is a term used by the 2-year tech colleges. It could be different at your school, but that's not a standard degree at the colleges that I'm familiar with (I could be wrong, of course).

7. Dec 10, 2006 #6
  8. Dec 10, 2006 #7
    ummm.... ECE (electrical and computer engineering) it is pretty standard 4-year degree. The difference from EE is that emphasis is on architecture and VLSI, at least for undergrads, there's also a grad degree here in CompE.
    As far as hot topics go, nano-stuff is very much in vogue at Purdue, well... that would not be "pure" EE application though :redface:

9. Feb 7, 2007 #8
    There are tons of universities that offer BS in Comp Engg!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?