Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hot water supply calculations.

1. May 7, 2012 #1
    HI i am a student from Singapore , and i was told to calculate the amount of hot water needed to supply to a house. The design brief stated
    1)Deliver 15 gallons of water at average 110°F (43°C) temperature within 10 minutes; 16 water draws during 1 week
    2)Dishwasher: Successfully wash five loads of dishes during 1 week

Whats does this specs means? 16 draws means 15 gallons X 16 in a week? also for dishwasher what does it means 5 loads?How do i know how many gallons would it use? Our lecturer had not idea and only asked us look online. I hope you guys could help us. Our rough idea is just solar thermal panels( compulsary thermal instead of PV) , maybe 2-3 panels and a tank. Tank sizing is a porblem too.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2
    A "load" refers to the act of loading the dishwasher and then using it. It is the same as "doing a load of laundry"/

So 5 loads means five uses of the dishwasher.

4. May 8, 2012 #3
    To "draw water" is a term not used often. Most commonly, people will say "I'm going to draw a bath" meaning they will fill the tub with water.

So I would say that 16 "water draws" means 16 uses.

5. May 8, 2012 #4
    Are questions 1 & 2 both refering to a dishwasher?

Could you post the full question?

My guess is this:

1: every "draw" or use is 15 gallons. 16 uses is 16*15 = 240 gallons needed that week.

2: if the dishwasher uses 15 gallons per use, 10 minutes long... 5 loads will be 5* 15 or 75 gallons.

I don't think we have enough information from you to answer the questions properly though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook