Hot water supply calculations.

• Thread starter Weicheng
  • Start date
HI i am a student from Singapore , and i was told to calculate the amount of hot water needed to supply to a house. The design brief stated
1)Deliver 15 gallons of water at average 110°F (43°C) temperature within 10 minutes; 16 water draws during 1 week
2)Dishwasher: Successfully wash five loads of dishes during 1 week

Whats does this specs means? 16 draws means 15 gallons X 16 in a week? also for dishwasher what does it means 5 loads?How do i know how many gallons would it use? Our lecturer had not idea and only asked us look online. I hope you guys could help us. Our rough idea is just solar thermal panels( compulsary thermal instead of PV) , maybe 2-3 panels and a tank. Tank sizing is a porblem too.

Answers and Replies

A "load" refers to the act of loading the dishwasher and then using it. It is the same as "doing a load of laundry"/

So 5 loads means five uses of the dishwasher.

To "draw water" is a term not used often. Most commonly, people will say "I'm going to draw a bath" meaning they will fill the tub with water.

So I would say that 16 "water draws" means 16 uses.

Are questions 1 & 2 both refering to a dishwasher?

Could you post the full question?

My guess is this:

1: every "draw" or use is 15 gallons. 16 uses is 16*15 = 240 gallons needed that week.

2: if the dishwasher uses 15 gallons per use, 10 minutes long... 5 loads will be 5* 15 or 75 gallons.

I don't think we have enough information from you to answer the questions properly though.