1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hot Water

1. Dec 8, 2004 #1
    "Hot" Water

I have this problem in class that I could not solve. Could some one please help me?

I have 100mL of water made with tritium (radioactive isotope of hydrogen). If I were to pour this 100mL of hot water into the ocean (given the volume of the ocean is 1.3*(10^18)m^3) how many molcecules of the original 100mL of ditritium monoxide would be in a 100mL sample of the ocean water. Assume the tritium oxide has mixed thoroughly.

As this question deals with grams and molecules, I expect it to have something to do with avogadro's constant. Please suggest a few steps so that I can solve the problem. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2004 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is very easy man, just find that 100 mL of ditritium monoxide gives x moles, and this radioactive chemical is dissolved in a solvent, whose volume is [itex]\displaystyle 1.3\times 10^{18}~m^3[/itex]. The cubic meters will cause you a trouble, but concentration can still be calculated from this; for example, it gives us the same result if we calculate millimoles over milliliters, moles over liters, or, just in our case, kilomoles over kiloliters (=one kiloliter is exactly one cubic meter, since one liter is one cubic decimeter).

I hope this makes sense.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?