House approves flag-burning amendment

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the proposed constitutional amendment to ban flag burning faces an uphill battle in the Senate, despite a bigger Republican majority and wartime patriotism. Supporters believe this is the year for the Senate to join the House in passing the amendment, but critics argue that it is a waste of time and goes against the essence of being American. The purpose of the flag is debated, with some believing it represents the ultimate symbol of rule by the people, while others see it as a way for the government to suppress dissent. The amendment has sparked controversy and raised questions about free speech and the need for more laws. However, it is already illegal to create a public disturbance or incite violence while burning the flag.
rachmaninoff said:
You're aware this has virtually nothing to do with the proposed legislation?
Have you been reading my posts? In their entirety?

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
The flag is a symbol of our country and there is no right more fundamental to this country than the right to freedom of speech. So using freedom of speech to burn a symbol of freedom of speech is just basic hypocrisy. I love it when hippies display their hypocrisy publicly.
You've just arbitrarily chosen one particular ideal that the flag supposedly symbolizes in order to derive your "contradiction".
Since a nation's flag will be wherever the armed forces of a country is, the flag can equally well be regarded as a symbol for something totally different than "freedom of speech".

Not that I condone flag-burning; I find it puerile and counter-productive.

So has anyone else written their senators? I wrote mine (even though Mel Martinez is a http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:SJ00012:@@@P ).

Last edited by a moderator: