Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

House arrest for school teacher

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7001158883

I can't imagine the outcome would have been the same if this were a male teacher with a female student ! In my opinion, the guy would be doing several years of hard time....in addition to all the rest of the procedures for a sex-offender.

Anyone else find this disappointing ? Anyone think being a totally hot, female teacher had anything to do with the outcome here ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2
    As it should.

Think about it, would the 14 year old guy in this situation have emotional problems afterwards? With a 14 year old girl and male teacher, I could see the girl having problems later on in life....

Guys and girls are not the same.

4. Nov 23, 2005 #3
    You underestimate young boys. It most certainly would mess up the boy. He was taken advantage of. If a girl thought the relationship was consensually between her and a male teacher how would she be more messed up than a male?

boys and girls are not that different.

5. Nov 23, 2005 #4
    Didn't that other female teacher in the famous case get jail time? I'm not sure what the difference is here. Different state with different laws?

6. Nov 23, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Other teacher wasn't hot enough ! :rolleyes:

Lafave, however, gained fame as the "where were teachers like this when I was in school" teacher. She even topped the poll in Nearly Legal magazine's first annual "Teacher I'd Most Want to Have Sex With in the Back of a Ford Bronco" contest.

http://www.pugbus.net/artman/publish/112305_teacherspet.shtml

Looks like in the end, she just got the nod-and-wink treatment. Lucky for her !

7. Nov 23, 2005 #6

Mk

Well, a male adult on a female student, would have more of a rape ting to it. And you think "he should no better! lock him up!"

Whereas, a sexy female adult, on a 14 year-old male... Its not like the kid didn't want it. If I was him yowzah! I wouldn't feel raped. Also, I don't think the emotional scars would not be there.

8. Nov 23, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah when 14 year old boys have sex with hot 25 year olds.. they REALLY think they were taken advantage of :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I gotta agree however, if this were a male with a 14 year old girl... he woulda been in jail, 15 years, registered sex offender... life utterly destroyed. The system is biased.

9. Nov 23, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to dream, no, pray for this sort of psychological damage.

10. Nov 23, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, other than the jail time, she didn't get off that easy on any of the other aspects of the punishment. From the article:
    Didn't that other teacher sell her story when she married the kid anyway?

11. Nov 23, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah she sold her story.... who teh hell would buy that book?

But come on, what kind of punishment is that? "As punishment, you can't be rich".

And yah, I demand my share of psychological damage this very instant!

12. Nov 23, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Her - the one from the op - lawyer claims that she has bipolar disorder. If he is to be believed, she has also suffered some personal tragedies that threw her over the edge.

13. Nov 23, 2005 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey ! You make it sound like 20-odd years in the slammer is a walk in the park. My contention is that a guy would have probably got that in addition to the rest.

Well, actually, I think the guy would have got shot in the head by the kid's dad, who would in turn get only a slap on the wrist. Okay, I'm stretchingit...but I'm ticked off.

14. Nov 23, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know...I think the issue is how did she manage to work out a plea on this rather than go to trial? How is that decided? Does the "victim" have to agree to it? Or was there a psychiatric evaluation involved? That was a pretty brief story, so it's hard to really know the basis for letting her off so easy. I do agree that men and women shouldn't be treated differently for sexual offenses, I just don't know enough about why she was let off without jail time to know if a man really would have been treated differently under similar circumstances.

15. Nov 23, 2005 #14
    There are differences between the perspective of sexual relationships that males have and that of females.
    It is incredibly common for females to have sex, even consentually, with their partners not because they want to but because the partner wants to. Women are very often pressured into having sex, especially at young ages. I was actually quite suprised once to read a discussion where a male said he was angry with his girlfriend because she didn't give him sex regularly and refused to give him any sort of compensation for not giving him actual intercourse. I was suprised because the majority of the females respondiong to him sided with him and thought she was a terrible girlfriend and should give him sexual favours regardless of whether or not she's in the mood for sex.
    In the case of a male normal sexual intercourse isn't going to be achieved unless the male is aroused. If the male is aroused then we can more than likely assume that he wants to have sex. The only exception would be sodomy and I'm pretty sure that if a female sodomized a young man she would likely be treated pretty harshly.

I would have to say though that there are probably plenty of young girls that have sex with older men and are quite willing and desirous, perhaps even having been the seducer themsleves. And I think that in such cases the males should not be treated so harshly considering that this is the rationale for not treating female transgressors so harshly.

16. Nov 23, 2005 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Wait wait wait, the judicial system should not have to take into account hte ignorance of girls and their stupid ideas as to what equality is. I mean I don't see anyone in court saying women should be paid less because of some stupid stereotype. Laws should not depend on stereotypes

17. Nov 24, 2005 #16
    i remmember having a crush on one of my jr. high teachers, i would have only been too willing if it was me. double standard, yea but it is generally asumed that the male is willing. :!!) lol

18. Nov 24, 2005 #17
    Exactly.

(message too short)

19. Nov 24, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what is the issue here? Is it that she should have received greater punishment, or is the real objection that men caught engaging in consensual sex with a minor are treated too harshly?

20. Nov 24, 2005 #19
    I think the teacher was punished way too harshly anyway, and I'm not being sarcastic.

21. Nov 24, 2005 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe the law assumes the position that a minor is not legally capable of giving consent. That essentially makes sex with a minor the equivalent of rape ("statutory rape").

Once it's defined that way, you should have to put in time of the order of what you would if you were convicted of rape...no matter what the sex of the offender/victim is (as long as there is no unprotected intercourse). Only in the case of unprotected intercourse do I think there should be a difference in the outcomes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?