House arrest for school teacher

In summary, Debra Lafave, a 25-year-old female teacher, pleaded guilty to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery after having sex with a 14-year-old student. Lafave will now be serving three years of house arrest and seven years' probation, and will lose her teaching certificate.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7001158883 [Broken]

Tampa, FL (AHN) - A female teacher pleaded guilty Tuesday to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery for having sex with a 14-year-old student. Debra Lafave, 25, whose titillating case made national headlines, will now be serving three years of house arrest and seven years' probation. The plea agreement keeps Lafave from serving time in prison.

I can't imagine the outcome would have been the same if this were a male teacher with a female student ! In my opinion, the guy would be doing several years of hard time...in addition to all the rest of the procedures for a sex-offender.

Anyone else find this disappointing ? Anyone think being a totally hot, female teacher had anything to do with the outcome here ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Gokul43201 said:
Anyone else find this disappointing ? Anyone think being a totally hot, female teacher had anything to do with the outcome here ?

As it should.

Think about it, would the 14 year old guy in this situation have emotional problems afterwards? With a 14 year old girl and male teacher, I could see the girl having problems later on in life...

Guys and girls are not the same.

moose said:
As it should.
Think about it, would the 14 year old guy in this situation have emotional problems afterwards? With a 14 year old girl and male teacher, I could see the girl having problems later on in life...
Guys and girls are not the same.

You underestimate young boys. It most certainly would mess up the boy. He was taken advantage of. If a girl thought the relationship was consensually between her and a male teacher how would she be more messed up than a male?

boys and girls are not that different.

Gokul43201 said:
I can't imagine the outcome would have been the same if this were a male teacher with a female student ! In my opinion, the guy would be doing several years of hard time...in addition to all the rest of the procedures for a sex-offender.

Didn't that other female teacher in the famous case get jail time? I'm not sure what the difference is here. Different state with different laws?

Other teacher wasn't hot enough ! :rolleyes:

Lafave, however, gained fame as the "where were teachers like this when I was in school" teacher. She even topped the poll in Nearly Legal magazine's first annual "Teacher I'd Most Want to Have Sex With in the Back of a Ford Bronco" contest.

http://www.pugbus.net/artman/publish/112305_teacherspet.shtml

Looks like in the end, she just got the nod-and-wink treatment. Lucky for her !

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
Well, a male adult on a female student, would have more of a rape ting to it. And you think "he should no better! lock him up!"

Whereas, a sexy female adult, on a 14 year-old male... Its not like the kid didn't want it. If I was him yowzah! I wouldn't feel raped. Also, I don't think the emotional scars would not be there.

ComputerGeek said:
He was taken advantage of.

Yah when 14 year old boys have sex with hot 25 year olds.. they REALLY think they were taken advantage of :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I got to agree however, if this were a male with a 14 year old girl... he woulda been in jail, 15 years, registered sex offender... life utterly destroyed. The system is biased.

I used to dream, no, pray for this sort of psychological damage.

Well, other than the jail time, she didn't get off that easy on any of the other aspects of the punishment. From the article:
Lafave will indefinitely lose her teaching certificate, must register with the state as a sexual predator, may not have any contact with children including the victim, and will not be allowed to profit from the sale of her story or personal appearances.

Didn't that other teacher sell her story when she married the kid anyway?

Yah she sold her story... who teh hell would buy that book?

But come on, what kind of punishment is that? "As punishment, you can't be rich".

And yah, I demand my share of psychological damage this very instant!

Her - the one from the op - lawyer claims that she has bipolar disorder. If he is to be believed, she has also suffered some personal tragedies that threw her over the edge.

Moonbear said:
Well, other than the jail time, she didn't get off that easy on any of the other aspects of the punishment.
Hey ! You make it sound like 20-odd years in the slammer is a walk in the park. My contention is that a guy would have probably got that in addition to the rest.

Well, actually, I think the guy would have got shot in the head by the kid's dad, who would in turn get only a slap on the wrist. Okay, I'm stretchingit...but I'm ticked off.

Gokul43201 said:
Hey ! You make it sound like 20-odd years in the slammer is a walk in the park. My contention is that a guy would have probably got that in addition to the rest.

Well, actually, I think the guy would have got shot in the head by the kid's dad, who would in turn get only a slap on the wrist. Okay, I'm stretchingit...but I'm ticked off.
I don't know...I think the issue is how did she manage to work out a plea on this rather than go to trial? How is that decided? Does the "victim" have to agree to it? Or was there a psychiatric evaluation involved? That was a pretty brief story, so it's hard to really know the basis for letting her off so easy. I do agree that men and women shouldn't be treated differently for sexual offenses, I just don't know enough about why she was let off without jail time to know if a man really would have been treated differently under similar circumstances.

ComputerGeek said:
You underestimate young boys. It most certainly would mess up the boy. He was taken advantage of. If a girl thought the relationship was consensually between her and a male teacher how would she be more messed up than a male?
boys and girls are not that different.
There are differences between the perspective of sexual relationships that males have and that of females.
It is incredibly common for females to have sex, even consentually, with their partners not because they want to but because the partner wants to. Women are very often pressured into having sex, especially at young ages. I was actually quite suprised once to read a discussion where a male said he was angry with his girlfriend because she didn't give him sex regularly and refused to give him any sort of compensation for not giving him actual intercourse. I was suprised because the majority of the females respondiong to him sided with him and thought she was a terrible girlfriend and should give him sexual favours regardless of whether or not she's in the mood for sex.
In the case of a male normal sexual intercourse isn't going to be achieved unless the male is aroused. If the male is aroused then we can more than likely assume that he wants to have sex. The only exception would be sodomy and I'm pretty sure that if a female sodomized a young man she would likely be treated pretty harshly.

I would have to say though that there are probably plenty of young girls that have sex with older men and are quite willing and desirous, perhaps even having been the seducer themsleves. And I think that in such cases the males should not be treated so harshly considering that this is the rationale for not treating female transgressors so harshly.

Wait wait wait, the judicial system should not have to take into account hte ignorance of girls and their stupid ideas as to what equality is. I mean I don't see anyone in court saying women should be paid less because of some stupid stereotype. Laws should not depend on stereotypes

i remmember having a crush on one of my jr. high teachers, i would have only been too willing if it was me. double standard, yea but it is generally asumed that the male is willing. :!) lol

Gokul43201 said:

Exactly.

(message too short)

So what is the issue here? Is it that she should have received greater punishment, or is the real objection that men caught engaging in consensual sex with a minor are treated too harshly?

I think the teacher was punished way too harshly anyway, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Ivan Seeking said:
So what is the issue here? Is it that she should have received greater punishment, or is the real objection that men caught engaging in consensual sex with a minor are treated too harshly?
I believe the law assumes the position that a minor is not legally capable of giving consent. That essentially makes sex with a minor the equivalent of rape ("statutory rape").

Once it's defined that way, you should have to put in time of the order of what you would if you were convicted of rape...no matter what the sex of the offender/victim is (as long as there is no unprotected intercourse). Only in the case of unprotected intercourse do I think there should be a difference in the outcomes.

What I've found interesting is that in 19th century when life expectancies where much lower (30 if your lucky) it was acceptable to get married at 14 and have children, but now with higher life expectancies society has cast a big frown on this so called "under aged" marriage and child birth. Prehaps back in the day this wouldn't have been a big deal.

Gokul43201 said:
She even topped the poll in Nearly Legal magazine's first annual "Teacher I'd Most Want to Have Sex With in the Back of a Ford Bronco" contest.
Just in case, I hope everyone saw this:
© The editorial content of this site is fictional. Be advised to believe half of what you see and nothing of what you read.

Regarding the teacher who slept with her 14-year-old student

Why is it that when a 14-year-old sleeps with a teacher, the teacher gets severely punished because, well, the student was just a little kid. He didn't know what he was doing, and the evil teacher had scarred him for the rest of his life. But when a 14-year-old murders a teacher, he is treated as an adult and sentenced to 30 or so years in prison because, well, he's a reasonable being and he knew perfectly well what he was doing. This is somewhat irrelevant, but perhaps the teacher seduced him to sleep with her? Ok, so you're telling me a teacher can't provoke a "little kid" to murder her? Yet in the first case, the 14-year-old is treated as a kid, in the second, as an adult.

anyone who told you the law was reasonable was either lying or stupid.

Smurf said:
anyone who told you the law was reasonable was either lying or stupid.
I don't think I ever thought that. At least not after I grew up.

ONJ's Noble Steed said:
Why is it that when a 14-year-old sleeps with a teacher, the teacher gets severely punished because, well, the student was just a little kid. He didn't know what he was doing, and the evil teacher had scarred him for the rest of his life. But when a 14-year-old murders a teacher, he is treated as an adult and sentenced to 30 or so years in prison because, well, he's a reasonable being and he knew perfectly well what he was doing.
Having an affair and murdering someone are not really comparable. The first is a negotiated act between two people, while the second is the act of only one person, and is not negotiated (i.e. one's judgement did not influence the other).

In the case of the sex, we must decide who is at fault. Clearly, the teacher, who knows better, is to be faulted. Regardless of whether the child is considered to be capable of making such a decision, the fact is that the teacher is responsible for exercising better judgement.

In the case of the murder, we ask who is at fault. Well, it clearly isn't the teacher, is it? The child is judged to be at fault. He sure wasn't coerced or seduced into murdering by a guding hand, was he? The child was acting without guidance, whereas in the sex, the child was acting with the guidance of an adult.

What would happen if the child murdered the teacher under the guidance of an adult? You can sure bet it would be the adult that would be punished.

I think the previous post misses the point that it is hypocritical to treat 14-year-olds as kids when it comes to sex, but treat them as adults when it comes to murder. So just what exactly should the teacher have known better? That a person who is deemed sufficiently mature to be sentenced as an adult for murder is not mature enough to consent to sex?

Gokul43201 said:
I believe the law assumes the position that a minor is not legally capable of giving consent. That essentially makes sex with a minor the equivalent of rape ("statutory rape").
Once it's defined that way, you should have to put in time of the order of what you would if you were convicted of rape...no matter what the sex of the offender/victim is (as long as there is no unprotected intercourse). Only in the case of unprotected intercourse do I think there should be a difference in the outcomes.
I agree mostly but with only one adendum. That being that the desire of the "victim" be taken into account aswell. There are situations where the "victim" is clearly desirous of the act and those where the victim was pressured or coerced in some manner (ie, "date rape"). I think that those who pressure or coerce minors into sexual relationships should be punished more harshly.

Pengwuino said:
Wait wait wait, the judicial system should not have to take into account hte ignorance of girls and their stupid ideas as to what equality is. I mean I don't see anyone in court saying women should be paid less because of some stupid stereotype. Laws should not depend on stereotypes
Like I said above there is a difference between engaging in consentual sex and pressuring/coercing someone into sex. Essentially I see it as there being "statutory rape", simply meaning that someone had sex with someone under the age of consent, and "date rape" or non-violent rape, where one pressures/coerces an individual into sex though doesn't necessarily physically force the individual to have sex.
My main point regarding the difference between males and females in regards to sex was that if the male achieves a state of arousal and preforms normal sexual intercourse it is quite difficult to declare that the "victimizer" coerced the "victim" into having sex. A female can engage in normal sexual intercourse without being aroused but ofcourse the problem here is that it would be quite difficult for a defense to prove that the female was aroused and desirous to protect their client from further charge if the court were to handle these cases the way I'm suggesting.
Males can obviously be coerced into sex just the same as females. This is often the case when a male is "raped" by another male. Like I said before though if a female were to sodomize a young male I doubt she would receive much leniency.

ONJ's Noble Steed said:
I think the previous post misses the point that it is hypocritical to treat 14-year-olds as kids when it comes to sex, but treat them as adults when it comes to murder. So just what exactly should the teacher have known better? That a person who is deemed sufficiently mature to be sentenced as an adult for murder is not mature enough to consent to sex?
It doesn't miss the point at all. It is demonstrating why the two scenarios do NOT count as hypocritical. Hypocracy occurs when you treat two situations that are otherwise the same, as if they were different. My post points out that the two situations are quite different, i.e. not to be viewed with the same set of criteria, i.e. not hypocritical.

The onus is not upon me to demostrate why the situations are different, the onus is upon you to demonstrate how they are the same and thus why they should be treated the same. So far, your rationale for equivalence seems to consist entirely of "in both cases, the defendant is 14 years old". Not good enough in my books.

DaveC426913 said:
It doesn't miss the point at all. It is demonstrating why the two scenarios do NOT count as hypocritical. Hypocracy occurs when you treat two situations that are otherwise the same, as if they were different. My post points out that the two situations are quite different, i.e. not to be viewed with the same set of criteria, i.e. not hypocritical.
The onus is not upon me to demostrate why the situations are different, the onus is upon you to demonstrate how they are the same and thus why they should be treated the same. So far, your rationale for equivalence seems to consist entirely of "in both cases, the defendant is 14 years old". Not good enough in my books.
And if a person is over 18, why would the two situations be treated the same? Because in both cases the defendant is over 18 and is considered mature enough, no? But apparently, a 14-year-old is considered mature enough to be held responsible for murder as an adult, but not mature enough to consent to sex. It seems to me that to be held responsible for murder as an adult requires greater maturity than consenting to sex.

I can't believe people still get prosecuted for having consensual sex. I guess the dark ages have not entirely left us...

And before you ask, yes, a 15yrold is capable of giving consent. The cut-off age should be 14.

ron damon said:
I can't believe people still get prosecuted for having consensual sex. I guess the dark ages have not entirely left us...
And before you ask, yes, a 15yrold is capable of giving consent. The cut-off age should be 14.
Yes, I tend to agree. A 14-year-old is not a little kid. At least in some US states, people start driving at age 15, while the age of consent if typically 16-18. I think in some states, the age of consent is normally 16, but it's 18 if the other person is in a position of authority (like a teacher, I suppose).

Last edited:
ron damon said:

Actually it would be more of a progressive issue of being prosecuted for having consenual sex then some dark age idea. The argument is that "kids are psychologically manipulated to agreeing under peer pressure". Sounds like progressive BS to me

But that was in the UK.

<h2>What is house arrest for a school teacher?</h2><p>House arrest for a school teacher is a form of punishment where the teacher is confined to their home instead of being sent to jail. It is typically used for teachers who have committed a crime or violated school policies.</p><h2>What are the conditions of house arrest for a school teacher?</h2><p>The conditions of house arrest for a school teacher may vary depending on the specific case, but typically include wearing an ankle monitor, adhering to a strict schedule, and not leaving the house without permission. The teacher may also be required to attend counseling or therapy sessions.</p><h2>How long does house arrest for a school teacher last?</h2><p>The duration of house arrest for a school teacher can vary depending on the severity of the offense and the discretion of the court. It can range from a few weeks to several months.</p><h2>Can a school teacher still teach while on house arrest?</h2><p>In most cases, a school teacher on house arrest is not allowed to continue teaching while confined to their home. However, they may be able to teach remotely if their school district allows it and it does not violate the terms of their house arrest.</p><h2>What happens if a school teacher violates their house arrest?</h2><p>If a school teacher violates their house arrest, they may face additional penalties such as extended house arrest, fines, or even jail time. It is important for the teacher to strictly adhere to the conditions of their house arrest to avoid further consequences.</p>

What is house arrest for a school teacher?

House arrest for a school teacher is a form of punishment where the teacher is confined to their home instead of being sent to jail. It is typically used for teachers who have committed a crime or violated school policies.

What are the conditions of house arrest for a school teacher?

The conditions of house arrest for a school teacher may vary depending on the specific case, but typically include wearing an ankle monitor, adhering to a strict schedule, and not leaving the house without permission. The teacher may also be required to attend counseling or therapy sessions.

How long does house arrest for a school teacher last?

The duration of house arrest for a school teacher can vary depending on the severity of the offense and the discretion of the court. It can range from a few weeks to several months.

Can a school teacher still teach while on house arrest?

In most cases, a school teacher on house arrest is not allowed to continue teaching while confined to their home. However, they may be able to teach remotely if their school district allows it and it does not violate the terms of their house arrest.

What happens if a school teacher violates their house arrest?

If a school teacher violates their house arrest, they may face additional penalties such as extended house arrest, fines, or even jail time. It is important for the teacher to strictly adhere to the conditions of their house arrest to avoid further consequences.