1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

House painter and pulley

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1
    this is a problem i have gotten on my homework, but this problem is giving me a bit of trouble does anyone know the best way to approch it? i was using ((Ms - Mm)/(Ms+Mm))* X = 0.2
    X being the force he must pull down on

A house painter uses the chair and pulley arrangement of the figure to lift himself up the side of a house. The painter's mass is 70 kg and the chair's mass is 10 kg. With what force must he pull down on the rope in order to accelerate upward at .2 m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2004 #2
    been trying to work on this, i was wondering should g be a factor in the equation?

4. Oct 12, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since you did not include the figure, I can only make a guess as to the problem. I assume the painter is pulling himself up via a pulley and rope.

As always, identify all the forces acting on the "painter + chair" (treat them as a unit). Note that the painter pulls down on one end of the rope, but both ends of the rope pull up on him.

You may find this discussion helpful: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=46892

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?