1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Householder matrix

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    a) Show that the householder matrix H=I-2ww* is unitary ( where ||w||=1).

b) Given a vector x in C^n (C: complex numbers) and an integer k with 1<k<n, derive a formula for a Householder matrix with the property that (Hx)_i = 0 for i> k. Be sure to choose the signs so that the formula is numerically stable.

For a), I think H is a unitary matrix if H H* = Identity matrix I. Now I guess, the thing is to just multiply H and H* and see if I get the identity matrix. Now the question is
    (I-2ww*)*= (I-2w*w)? Or is it rather (I-2ww*)*= (I-2ww*) ?

For b)I don't know how to even start that one. Any help is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

* is Hermitian conjugate, right? Then (a(b*))*=((b*)*)(a*)=b(a*). Apply that to the case a=b=v. Not sure about 'numerical stability' issues in the second one.

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3
    I assume ww* is a square matrix right? and (I-2ww*)*= (I-2ww*)
    Now HH*= (I-2ww*)(I-2ww*)*= (I-2ww*)(I-2ww*)= I-4ww*+ 4(ww*)(ww*)
    I suppose -4ww*+ 4(ww*)(ww*) will cancel out but what's the reason? I mean, we have that ||w||=1, but how do we use this info?

5. Oct 14, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How might (w*)(w) be related to ||w||?

6. Oct 15, 2009 #5
    I wonder because I thought (w*)(w) was a square matrix, I am not sure, is it like the determinant?

7. Oct 15, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

w* is a row vector. w is a column vector. What's the form of the product?

8. Oct 18, 2009 #7
    Say w* is an 1xn vector and w is an nx1, I believe ww*is of the form nxn which is a square matrix. now w*w should be a number (of the form 1x1)., so is ||w||=square root of w*w ?

9. Oct 18, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. w*w=||w||=1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook