Househunting in Manchester: anyone else doing the same?

• Thread starter Keep_i_real
  • Start date
In summary, two individuals are discussing the best areas to live in Manchester while attending university. One person is looking at Ardwick, Hulme, Withington, and the city centre, while avoiding areas with a large undergraduate population. The other suggests considering Withington and the Didsburies, and not writing off areas with undergraduates as there are many students in Manchester. They also recommend avoiding Hulme and Moss Side for other reasons.
Keep_i_real
Hi,

I've just got onto a PhD at Manchester uni and I'm looking for a house there. Is anyone else here in the same boat?

I'm looking primarily at Ardwick, Hulme, Withington and possibly the city centre - but open to other ideas though. I want to avoid Rusholme, Moss Side and anywhere that'll have a lot of undergrads.

-Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Withington and the Didsburies. I wouldn't write off Rusholme (or Fallowfield, or Victoria Park for that matter) on the basis of undergrads; there are 80,000 students in Manchester so you'll not escape undergrads wherever you go. I would, however, write off Hulme and Moss Side for other reasons (transport, availability of good student houses, crime, niceness etc).

1. What is the current housing market like in Manchester?

The current housing market in Manchester is competitive and fast-paced. The demand for housing in the city has increased in recent years, leading to rising prices and shorter time on the market for available properties. It is important to act quickly and have a solid plan in place when searching for a house in Manchester.

2. How do I find available properties in Manchester?

There are several ways to find available properties in Manchester. You can search online through real estate websites or apps, work with a real estate agent, or check local listings in newspapers or community bulletin boards. It is also helpful to network with friends, family, and colleagues who may know of available properties.

3. What are the average house prices in Manchester?

The average house price in Manchester varies depending on the location, size, and condition of the property. As of 2021, the average house price in Manchester is around £200,000. However, this can range significantly depending on the specific area and type of property you are looking for.

4. Are there any specific areas of Manchester that are recommended for house hunting?

Some popular areas for house hunting in Manchester include the city center, Didsbury, Chorlton, and Altrincham. These areas offer a mix of urban and suburban living with a variety of amenities and transportation options. However, the best area for house hunting will depend on your personal preferences and budget.

5. What should I consider when looking for a house in Manchester?

When searching for a house in Manchester, it is important to consider factors such as your budget, preferred location, and the condition of the property. You should also think about the size and layout of the house, as well as any specific features or amenities that are important to you. It is also recommended to research the neighborhood and transportation options in the area before making a decision.