1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hoverboard for school project

1. May 27, 2017 #1
    How can I create a hoverboard similar to the one on back to future using air compression and clever engineering if needed?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

:welcome:

There are several DIY hover board videos on YouTube.

4. May 27, 2017 #3
    I meant an actual hoverboard not a prop

5. May 28, 2017 #4
    <Moderator's note: moved from an identical thread.>

Hi, everyone can someone please help me out? I need to know how I can create a hoverboard using compressed air I want it to be similar to the one in back to the future. I had and idea of using compressed air and a fan but I still do not know how it could be powered. If I could also get some advice on the other requirements as well as the math that I will need in order for the board to hover. I also do not understand how I can choose a fixed height, say if I wanted the board to only hover 2 feet off of the ground. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2017
  6. May 28, 2017 #5
  7. May 28, 2017 #6

jedishrfu

Search on YouTube for hover board videos and see if they will give you some ideas.

Back to the Future was an imaginary technology using anti gravity which something outside of our current scientific theory i.e. Impossible. The best you can do is air or electromagnetic tech to accomplish this.

8. May 28, 2017 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Define "actual hoverboard".

9. May 28, 2017 #8
    Thanks that's actually what I am trying to accomplish. I did read a lot on anti gravity which is way out of my reach right now, but I am trying to create one using air. I don't really know to much about physics so any help would be greatly appreciated!

10. May 28, 2017 #9
  11. May 28, 2017 #10
    When I said hoverboard I simply meant a board that hovers about a foot off of the ground. I'm not confined to any specific technology but I do want it to look and behave in a similar way to the one in back to the future.

12. May 28, 2017 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's not surprising since as far as is known it's impossible

13. May 28, 2017 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, there's one that uses strong magnets but it can ONLY be used on top of a particular metal surface. I think you can find it on youtube. If you want one that goes anywhere and looks like the one in the movie, that's not going to happen.

14. May 28, 2017 #13

jedishrfu

I saw one where a leaf blower was used to create a floating surface. The design uses an apron around the board to contain the air and jift the board up a couple of inches.

Other ideas have used quad copter technology to levitate a platform like the hoverbikes of star wars.

The hardest part is the matching of weight, upward force, motor and battery and overall stability. Its a tricky balance.

15. May 28, 2017 #14
    Hey, thanks a lot for helping me. What would you suggest if I wanted to lift the board at least a feet off of the ground constantly.

16. May 28, 2017 #15
    Yea thanks, I saw those board's that use magnetism but that kinda defeats the purpose and will be very expensive. I have a question. Do you know what type of air compressor may be small enough to fit in a board but also has enough power to lift a average human??

17. May 28, 2017 #16

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

None as far as I know. You also seem to be overlooking that the power requirement has to ALSO include lifting the weight of the blower AND the blower power source and fuel. A fan-driven hovercraft is possible but your idea of it being the same size and general appearance as what's in the movie is a non-starter.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  18. May 28, 2017 #17

jedishrfu

You're not going to find anyone on PF who can actually design one for you.

We don't know the part number of the motors or the design details you're looking for.

So far I haven't seen you contributing much to this thread other than thanking folks and asking for help.

You tell us what you're thinking and what your design is.

19. May 30, 2017 #18

berkeman

20. May 31, 2017 #19
    Some of the new type outrunner electric motors are up in the 80 HP range and are very light weight. May have to be a little larger then a hover bord. The trade off is power required to run them Li batt. Are needed.

21. Jun 1, 2017 #20
    Consider stacked C02 cartridges with solenoid valves that deliver bursts of air at intervals. I'm sure if you have enough cartridges the weight/lift ratio might be in your favor depends on how much you weigh and how much lift you want off the ground but I'm sure it's feasible, not much different than the leaf blower method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted