Hoverboard for school project

In summary: Yea thanks, I saw those board's that use magnetism but that kinda defeats the purpose and will be very expensive. I have a question. Do those boards actually hover? I mean do they stay up off the ground?
Zachery Jordan
How can I create a hoverboard similar to the one on back to future using air compression and clever engineering if needed?

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

There are several DIY hover board videos on YouTube.

I meant an actual hoverboard not a prop

<Moderator's note: moved from an identical thread.>

Hi, everyone can someone please help me out? I need to know how I can create a hoverboard using compressed air I want it to be similar to the one in back to the future. I had and idea of using compressed air and a fan but I still do not know how it could be powered. If I could also get some advice on the other requirements as well as the math that I will need in order for the board to hover. I also do not understand how I can choose a fixed height, say if I wanted the board to only hover 2 feet off of the ground. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Search on YouTube for hover board videos and see if they will give you some ideas.

Back to the Future was an imaginary technology using anti gravity which something outside of our current scientific theory i.e. Impossible. The best you can do is air or electromagnetic tech to accomplish this.

Zachery Jordan said:
I meant an actual hoverboard not a prop
Define "actual hoverboard".

jedishrfu said:
Search on YouTube for hover board videos and see if they will give you some ideas.

Back to the Future was an imaginary technology using anti gravity which something outside of our current scientific theory i.e. Impossible. The best you can do is air or electromagnetic tech to accomplish this.

Thanks that's actually what I am trying to accomplish. I did read a lot on anti gravity which is way out of my reach right now, but I am trying to create one using air. I don't really know to much about physics so any help would be greatly appreciated!

phinds said:
Define "actual hoverboard".

When I said hoverboard I simply meant a board that hovers about a foot off of the ground. I'm not confined to any specific technology but I do want it to look and behave in a similar way to the one in back to the future.

Zachery Jordan said:
Thanks that's actually what I am trying to accomplish. I did read a lot on anti gravity which is way out of my reach right now, but I am trying to create one using air. I don't really know to much about physics so any help would be greatly appreciated!
That's not surprising since as far as is known it's impossible

Likes Averagesupernova
Zachery Jordan said:
When I said hoverboard I simply meant a board that hovers about a foot off of the ground. I'm not confined to any specific technology but I do want it to look and behave in a similar way to the one in back to the future.
Well, there's one that uses strong magnets but it can ONLY be used on top of a particular metal surface. I think you can find it on youtube. If you want one that goes anywhere and looks like the one in the movie, that's not going to happen.

I saw one where a leaf blower was used to create a floating surface. The design uses an apron around the board to contain the air and lift the board up a couple of inches.

Other ideas have used quad copter technology to levitate a platform like the hoverbikes of star wars.

The hardest part is the matching of weight, upward force, motor and battery and overall stability. Its a tricky balance.

jedishrfu said:
I saw one where a leaf blower was used to create a floating surface. The design uses an apron around the board to contain the air and jift the board up a couple of inches.Other ideas have used quad copter technology to levitate a platform like the hoverbikes of star wars.

The hardest part is the matching of weight, upward force, motor and battery and overall stability. Its a tricky balance.

Hey, thanks a lot for helping me. What would you suggest if I wanted to lift the board at least a feet off of the ground constantly.

phinds said:
Well, there's one that uses strong magnets but it can ONLY be used on top of a particular metal surface. I think you can find it on youtube. If you want one that goes anywhere and looks like the one in the movie, that's not going to happen.

Yea thanks, I saw those board's that use magnetism but that kinda defeats the purpose and will be very expensive. I have a question. Do you know what type of air compressor may be small enough to fit in a board but also has enough power to lift a average human??

Zachery Jordan said:
Yea thanks, I saw those board's that use magnetism but that kinda defeats the purpose and will be very expensive. I have a question. Do you know what type of air compressor may be small enough to fit in a board but also has enough power to lift a average human??
None as far as I know. You also seem to be overlooking that the power requirement has to ALSO include lifting the weight of the blower AND the blower power source and fuel. A fan-driven hovercraft is possible but your idea of it being the same size and general appearance as what's in the movie is a non-starter.

Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic and jedishrfu
You're not going to find anyone on PF who can actually design one for you.

We don't know the part number of the motors or the design details you're looking for.

So far I haven't seen you contributing much to this thread other than thanking folks and asking for help.

You tell us what you're thinking and what your design is.

Likes Asymptotic
Zachery Jordan said:
Here you go. The soccer ball is optional:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/por...drone-match-ball-video-officials-green-goblin
epa_portugal_soccer_cup_final.jpg

Zachery Jordan said:
How can I create a hoverboard similar to the one on back to future using air compression and clever engineering if needed?
Some of the new type outrunner electric motors are up in the 80 HP range and are very light weight. May have to be a little larger then a hover bord. The trade off is power required to run them Li batt. Are needed.

Consider stacked C02 cartridges with solenoid valves that deliver bursts of air at intervals. I'm sure if you have enough cartridges the weight/lift ratio might be in your favor depends on how much you weigh and how much lift you want off the ground but I'm sure it's feasible, not much different than the leaf blower method.

Piper84 said:
Some of the new type outrunner electric motors are up in the 80 HP range and are very light weight. May have to be a little larger then a hover bord. The trade off is power required to run them Li batt. Are needed.
What is an outrunner electric motor?

80 HP worth of electric motor is quite a bit larger and heavier than the pictured hoverboard, and that's not considering several hundred pounds of battery required to supply it for a reasonable length of time. It isn't something you'll be able to tuck under one arm.

But not an outrunner three phase brushless motor 25hp is only a few pounds runs at 70 v with an ecm some are being used in ultra lights now. But do coust a bit 4 to 5 hundred range.

Piper84 said:
But not an outrunner three phase brushless motor 25hp is only a few pounds runs at 70 v with an ecm some are being used in ultra lights now. But do coust a bit 4 to 5 hundred range.
Can you provide a link?

One of the larger motors I found in a cursory search of outrunner BLDC motors is by KDE (part # kde8218xf-120).
120 RPM/V, 110+ amp (180 sec), 5695+ W (180 sec), 94% efficiency, 22.2-60.9 VDC, 0.037Ω windings, 845 grams, $597 USD

There is one on eBay search outrunner motor 25 hp 18000 w max 70 V also has a hub built in. I was thinking of trying one for hover craft power. And they have a water cooled ver. Called the R-Snake outrunner motor and have a range of Hp. The larger Hp need a 3 or 4 hundred Amp Ecm. for max output. I was looking in the 15 to 25 hp range.

Piper84 said:
There is one on eBay search outrunner motor 25 hp 18000 w max 70 V also has a hub built in. I was thinking of trying one for hover craft power. And they have a water cooled ver. Called the R-Snake outrunner motor and have a range of Hp. The larger Hp need a 3 or 4 hundred Amp Ecm. for max output. I was looking in the 15 to 25 hp range.

Couldn't find R-Snake searching eBay, but did locate BLDC motors sold by R-Mamba (although not one rated 18 kW).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outrunner-Brushless-Motor-120mm-x-100mm-100V-25Kw-33Hp-Watercooling-Version-/262762569940
Outrunner Brushless Motor 120mm x 100mm 100V 25Kw (33Hp) Watercooling Version
$549 + $490 S&H (Shenzhen, China). Import duties, taxes, etc. not included.
SPECS SERIE120 25KW:
KV: 50 (50rpm per volt) or 80 (80rpm per volt)
.POWER: 22000-25000W Max. (or 33Hp power peak)
.VOLTAGE: 100V Max (23S LiPo)
.RECOM. ESC: 350A-400A
.STATOR: 60mm
.WEIGHT (g): 3.93Kg
.SHAFT: 10mm
.SIZE: 120mm x 100mm (w/o shaft inclued)
.WATERCOLLING SYSTEM: YES

I couldn't locate any additional information such as speed/torque curves, water cooling flow rate and max. inlet temperature, continuous power, continuous/peak current, coil resistance, and so on.

33HP (25 kW) "peak" without stating how long peak power output can be maintained, and without mentioning continuous power output smells of specification shadiness. It isn't uncommon, for instance, for BLDC servo motor peak power ratings to be anywhere from 150 to 200% maximum continuous power, but it can be operated at this level for only a brief period of time (on the order of seconds), and only every so often (x number of times per hour). Continuous output for the above 25 kW peak motor may be 14 kW or less.

The question has been answered. Thread closed.

1. What is a hoverboard?

A hoverboard is a type of personal transportation device that uses electromagnets to levitate and move the user forward. It is usually powered by lithium-ion batteries and controlled by the user's body movements.

2. How does a hoverboard work?

A hoverboard works by utilizing the principles of electromagnetism. It contains a series of electromagnets and sensors that work together to create a magnetic field, allowing the board to levitate and move in a specific direction based on the user's body movements.

3. Are hoverboards safe?

Hoverboards can be safe when used properly and with caution. However, there have been reports of accidents and fires caused by faulty batteries and poor quality control. It is important to purchase a hoverboard from a reputable source and follow all safety guidelines while using it.

4. Can I make a hoverboard for my school project?

Yes, it is possible to make a hoverboard for a school project. However, it requires a good understanding of electromagnetism and access to the necessary materials and tools. It is important to also follow all safety precautions and have adult supervision while working on the project.

5. Do hoverboards have any practical uses?

Currently, hoverboards are mainly used for recreational purposes. However, there are ongoing research and development efforts to explore potential practical uses such as transportation in crowded cities or for military and medical purposes.