1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hovercraft help 2

1. Aug 18, 2008 #1
    i need some help with my one engine hc
    i have a 85lb snomo engine and a 45lb deck and me (130lbs)
    is that too heavy for a yamaha 440 snomo engine?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2
    Hmm. Don't know. I think you need to research the prop you'll use. You want to get one with as much thrust as possible. They sell hovercraft specific ones online, for like $100-200.

I've had a plan for a few years of making one using a plywood deck, lawnmower engine and (very) large innertube. Keep me posted on your progress. Perhaps you could more fully explain your plans.

4. Aug 18, 2008 #3
    It depends on the HP of the Yamaha engine? Is that the 4 cycle 40 horsepower engine??

5. Aug 18, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Still not enough information. We also need the physical size of the hovercraft and how high off the ground you want it to go. Try playing with this calculator for a bit: http://www.olshove.com/HoverHome/hovcalc.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  6. Aug 19, 2008 #5
    thanks russ that helps alot!
    my deck ids made of two pices of luan sandwiching foam covered in fiberglass
    and yes the engine is 40h

7. Jan 11, 2009 #6
    scratch that 50 Hp

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook