Calculating Force for Hovercraft Steering

• Thread starter yablonski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steering
In summary, to calculate the force needed for steering a hovercraft, you need to know its weight, the mass and velocity of the air being displaced. Several factors affect the force needed for hovercraft steering, including weight, size and shape, air pressure, and speed. Air pressure plays a crucial role in determining the force needed for steering, and there is a direct relationship between velocity and force for hovercraft steering. The force can be adjusted by changing the speed, shape, or size of the hovercraft.
yablonski
hovercraft steering??

hey to u all
can someone tell me how will i should estemate the force
that i need to apply by the driver in order to move enough tjee rudders??

can i get a ready made system somewhere?

thanks..

Engineering news on Phys.org

It would entirely depend upon the overall design of the machine. In any event, it won't be enough force to be a problem unless you're into one of those huge ferry or ice-breaker vehicles. A simple cable or tie-rod setup, manually operated from a control stick or yoke, will work fine.

1. How do I calculate the force needed to steer a hovercraft?

To calculate the force needed to steer a hovercraft, you will need to know the weight of the hovercraft, the mass of the air being displaced, and the velocity of the air being displaced. Once you have these values, you can use the formula F = m * v to determine the force needed for steering.

2. What factors affect the force needed for hovercraft steering?

The force needed for hovercraft steering is affected by several factors, including the weight of the hovercraft, the size and shape of the hovercraft, the air pressure, and the speed of the hovercraft. Additionally, the surface on which the hovercraft is operating can also impact the force needed for steering.

3. How does air pressure affect the force needed for hovercraft steering?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in determining the force needed for hovercraft steering. Higher air pressure will result in more resistance and thus require more force for steering. On the other hand, lower air pressure will result in less resistance and require less force for steering.

4. What is the relationship between velocity and force for hovercraft steering?

There is a direct relationship between velocity and force for hovercraft steering. As the velocity of the hovercraft increases, the force needed for steering also increases. This is because higher velocities result in more air being displaced, which creates more resistance and requires more force for steering.

5. How can I adjust the force for hovercraft steering?

The force needed for hovercraft steering can be adjusted by changing the speed of the hovercraft. Increasing the speed will result in more air being displaced and thus require more force for steering. Decreasing the speed will have the opposite effect. Additionally, changing the shape or size of the hovercraft can also impact the force needed for steering.