Why doesn't wind drag a hovering Kestrel bird backwards?

In summary, the Kestrel was soaring, offset from the camera, so the airflow structure was significant in extent. It would be interesting to know what and where that structure was.
Emmanuel Pil
I know it's all about drag and lift, but why doesn't the wind drag this bird backwards?

Likes PeroK and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Emmanuel Pil said:
I know it's all about drag and lift, but why doesn't the wind drag this bird backwards?
Because the bird was slope soaring. The camera was on a structure. Wind was forced upwards, over the structure, so the bird was gliding forwards relative to the airflow, while maintaining its altitude.

Likes topsquark
Baluncore said:
Wind was forced upwards, over the structure, so the bird was gliding forwards relative to the airflow, while maintaining its altitude.
And downwards relative to the airflow.

Likes topsquark
If the answer is: wind blowing upwards and bird gliding downwards relative to the airflow, I just don't see the right angle of the bird's wings. Something awkward here.

russ_watters said:
And downwards relative to the airflow.
Yes, gliding.

I like the way birds fix their head orientation, while the body flexes and changes orientation with the moving perch, or the movement of the air. In this case, the bird is also using the camera, or part of the structure, as a local position reference. I believe it was holding its head steady, so it could detect movement (of mice?) on the ground.

The Kestrel was soaring, offset from the camera, so the airflow structure was significant in extent. It would be interesting to know what and where that structure was.

A Google search gave Snetterton Circuit, built at the old RAF Snetterton Heath, Norfolk, England. There is a 5-metre-high grassy ridge built along the north of the track, probably for spectators. Along the crest is a fence, near the western end is a small shed with a 5-metre-high mast for the camera, revealed only by a shadow on 8/2020, (a rare image taken when the Sun was out). So the Kestrel was soaring the slope of the ridge, while fixing its position by flying near the camera on the mast. It was slope soaring, probably hunting the entire length of the ridge, but only a few seconds of video from near the camera was presented. The mast is located at; 52.46700°, 0.940278°.

Likes berkeman
So here is another one above open water. What now?

Emmanuel Pil said:
Where was the beach interface to the water (hint: it wasn't open water)? Why do I ask that question? :wink:

Emmanuel Pil said:
If the answer is: wind blowing upwards and bird gliding downwards relative to the airflow, I just don't see the right angle of the bird's wings. Something awkward here.
Are you hoping for something supernatural here? The bird is taking advantage of the wind currents; there is no magic or supernatural stuff going on, obviously.

Emmanuel Pil said:
That bird is slope soaring on the sea breeze, in air rising up the gentle slope of the beach and the dunes.

Many oceanic seabirds soar on the wind, where it rises up the face of ocean waves.

Likes berkeman
It's not fair to make a joke out of it. Of course, there is a logical answer to this. I just do not consider the answer that the bird uses an upward windblow the correct one. See here a tern hovering above a river. No hills, no dunes.

Emmanuel Pil said:
I just do not consider the answer that the bird uses an upward windblow the correct one.
Rising air is often used by birds to reduce the energy cost of flying.
Apart from rising air, or mystic magic, what alternative is there?

Well, maybe I'm on the wrong forum. Thanks anyway.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
Emmanuel Pil said:
See here a tern hovering above a river. No hills, no dunes.
But the shoreline is where the photographer stands, and the shore must be rising ground. The wind only needs to blow diagonally onto the shore to rise.

Emmanuel Pil said:
Well, maybe I'm on the wrong forum. Thanks anyway.
No, no! Please don't leave! We can give you the answers that you want...

1667525993973.png

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu and phinds

1. What is hovering and how does a Kestrel bird do it?

Hovering is a flying technique where a bird stays in one spot in the air, without moving forward or backward. Kestrel birds achieve this by flapping their wings rapidly and using their tail to stabilize themselves.

2. Why do Kestrel birds hover?

Kestrel birds hover to hunt for prey, such as small rodents. By staying in one spot, they can closely observe their target and then swoop down to catch it.

3. How long can a Kestrel bird hover?

The duration of hovering varies depending on factors such as wind conditions and the bird's energy level. On average, a Kestrel bird can hover for up to 15 minutes.

4. How do Kestrel birds use their vision while hovering?

Kestrel birds have excellent eyesight, which they use to spot their prey while hovering. They can see small movements from great distances, allowing them to accurately target their prey.

5. Is hovering a common behavior among all birds?

No, hovering is not a common behavior among all birds. It is mostly seen in birds of prey, such as Kestrels, who use it as a hunting technique. Other birds, such as hummingbirds, also have the ability to hover due to their unique wing structure.