How a cascaded common emitter transistor amplifier is modelled

In summary, the conversation discusses how to model a cascaded common emitter transistor amplifier and the calculations involved in determining current and voltage gains, input and output impedances, and the effects of including or excluding the emitter resistor. The participants also discuss the use of schematic diagrams and the process of multiplying gains from each stage to determine the overall gain. The conversation also mentions the option of calculating the total gain for the entire circuit rather than each stage separately. The type of coupling and number of stages are also briefly mentioned.
Antwi
I want to learn how a cascaded common emitter transistor amplifier is modeled. I also want to know how all the calculations are done with regards to current and voltage gains, input and ouput impedances. I want to also know how we do the calculations with and without the emitter reistor. Can anyone kinkly come to my aid, I badly need help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you show a schematic diagram of an actual circuit you would like to model?

Is this a homework problem?

It is just like one stage, except you include the input impedance of the next stage, including any bias resistors, as part of the load for the first stage.

Then you multiply the gains together to get the overall gain.

But you don't need a computer to do it. You just use a calculator.

It is just like one stage

Exactly. Just draw the equivalent circuit of the first stage , the second stage is connected to the first stage output and go on.

Then you multiply the gains together to get the overall gain.

As vk6kro said you can calculate the gains of each stage alone and then multiply the gains, or you can deal with the circuit as a whole circuit and determin the total gain (I think this is simpler to do).

Is this ac or dc coupled? How many stages?

1. What is a cascaded common emitter transistor amplifier?

A cascaded common emitter transistor amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that uses multiple common emitter transistor stages to amplify a signal. This type of amplifier is commonly used in audio and radio frequency applications.

2. How does a cascaded common emitter transistor amplifier work?

A cascaded common emitter transistor amplifier works by using the amplification properties of transistors. The input signal is first amplified by one transistor, and then that amplified signal is further amplified by subsequent transistors in the circuit. This results in a larger output signal compared to the input signal.

3. What are the benefits of using a cascaded common emitter transistor amplifier?

There are several benefits to using a cascaded common emitter transistor amplifier. These include high gain, low noise, and low distortion. Additionally, this type of amplifier allows for greater control over the amplification process and can be easily configured for different input and output impedance levels.

4. How is a cascaded common emitter transistor amplifier modelled?

A cascaded common emitter transistor amplifier is typically modelled using a hybrid-pi model. This model represents the transistor as an equivalent circuit with resistors, capacitors, and a current source. The values of these components can be determined using the transistor's characteristics and the circuit parameters.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of a cascaded common emitter transistor amplifier?

One potential drawback of a cascaded common emitter transistor amplifier is the need for careful biasing and matching of components. If these parameters are not properly set, it can lead to distortion and instability in the amplifier. Additionally, this type of amplifier may have a limited bandwidth, making it unsuitable for high-frequency applications.