Understanding the Bouncing and Rolling Motion of a Cube (Die) on a Slope

• Thread starter Mins
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the rolling motion of a cube (or die) when dropped from a slope. The speaker is trying to determine how the cube will bounce and roll, taking into consideration factors such as air current and elasticity. The discussion also delves into the asymmetrical interaction of the cube with a surface, the conservation of energy and motion, and the possibility of creating a formula to calculate the cube's motion.
Mins
How a cube(a die) rolls(rolling motion help)

I want to show how a cube bounces and rolls when dropped from a slope(45 degrees).
die rolls.GIF

I'm trying to make this problem as easy as possible, so I've ruled out air current.
How will it bounce? Think I need to use 'e'(elasticity)(which is roughly 0.3)...
Then, I don't understand why it rolls when it's airborne... Does it roll at all? Did I miss something?

Another thing that bothers me is it's rolling motion when it's not bouncing up and down...
die rolls 1.GIF
(Not sure of it and don't know what determines rolling friction)
Where does the axis of the die lie?
and what is conserved, and what isn't?

extra)http://director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=1075#dice

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Die are three dimensional objects. The interaction with a surface is asymmetric (striking a surface on one corner, edge or face), and the force acting in opposition to forward motion acts at a distance to its center of mass, which produces a 'moment' about the center of mass, and hence the development of rotational motion.

The collision is largely elastic since there is little deformation of the surface or die.

I think I understand but

Astronuc said:
the force acting in opposition to forward motion acts at a distance to its center of mass, which produces a 'moment' about the center of mass, and hence the development of rotational motion.
QUOTE]

I'm sorry if I'm asking too much, but can you make a formula out of this?

or suggest a formula to calculate?

1. How does the shape of a cube affect how it bounces?

The shape of a cube has a significant impact on how it bounces. Unlike a ball, which bounces in a predictable and uniform manner, a cube's edges and corners can cause it to bounce in unpredictable directions. This is due to the uneven distribution of weight and the multiple contact points it makes with the ground.

2. Why does a cube sometimes bounce higher than other times?

The height of a cube's bounce is affected by various factors such as the surface it bounces on, the force and angle of the initial impact, and the cube's weight and shape. A harder surface and a stronger initial force will typically result in a higher bounce, while a softer surface and a weaker force will result in a lower bounce.

3. What makes a cube stop bouncing?

A cube stops bouncing when the force of its impact with the ground is less than the force of gravity pulling it down. This can be affected by factors such as air resistance, the elasticity of the cube's material, and the height from which it was dropped. As the cube continues to bounce, the force of its impact decreases until it eventually comes to a stop.

4. Can a cube ever bounce indefinitely?

In theory, a cube could bounce indefinitely if all external factors such as air resistance and energy loss due to impact were eliminated. However, in real-world scenarios, a cube will eventually stop bouncing due to these external factors and the dissipation of energy.

5. What does the trajectory of a bouncing cube depend on?

The trajectory of a bouncing cube depends on the initial force and angle of impact, the surface it bounces on, and the shape and weight of the cube. The height and direction of each bounce can vary depending on these factors, making it difficult to predict the exact trajectory of a bouncing cube.