How Do Z Pinches Generate High-Energy Electromagnetic Pulses?

• Thread starter Viper2838
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation revolves around electromagnetism and the physics behind it, specifically the functioning of a pinch in generating a high-level electromagnetic pulse. The discussion is sparked by the movie "Ocean's 11" and the question of whether or not it is possible to create such a device. A link is provided for further reading on the topic, and the conversation touches on the concept of conservation of energy and the potential for increasing the power of the device.
Viper2838
Electromagnitism

I was sitting around during science class today, and I got to wondering about electromagnetism, in particulary, how a pinch functions. If anyone would be able to explain how to get a high-level elctromagnetic pulse device to work, or atleast, the physics behind it, it would put an end to my wondering and mabey I can concentrate again in class.
Thanks

------------------------------------
It is thought that powers innovation

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Viper2838
I was sitting around during science class today, and I got to wondering about electromagnetism, in particulary, how a pinch functions.

A pinch?!

Bulls@$t, you were watching Ocean's 11 and wondering about electromagnetism. :wink:

If anyone would be able to explain how to get a high-level elctromagnetic pulse device to work, or atleast, the physics behind it, it would put an end to my wondering and mabey I can concentrate again in class.

Try reading this link:

http://www.aip.org/isns/reports/2001/033.html

An excerpt:

What's more, perhaps even the filmmakers themselves did not realize that their pinch pulls off the ultimate swindle. As portrayed in the movie, the pinch apparently violates the most fundamental principle of physics, the conservation of energy, which says that energy can be converted from one form to another, but never created out of thin air. Any van-sized electricity source, not just a pinch, says Quintenz, is just too small to store the energy required to produce a blackout-generating EMP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was accually in class when the thought came, but truthfully, it was spurred by an off topic disscusion of the move:wink:. As for the powersource, that's not the problem in my mind, for that is always obtainable, if you know how to get it. The emp from the z pinch would become greater if an incressed flow of electricty was given to the machine, would it not?

1. What is a pinch?

A pinch is a type of physical force that involves squeezing or pressing something between two surfaces or objects.

2. How does a pinch function?

A pinch functions by applying pressure to an object, causing it to deform or change shape. This deformation occurs because the force applied by the pinch is greater than the object's strength or ability to resist.

3. What are the effects of a pinch?

The effects of a pinch can vary depending on the object being pinched and the amount of force applied. In some cases, a pinch can cause temporary pain or discomfort, while in others it can result in permanent damage or even be fatal.

4. What are some examples of pinching?

Pinching can occur in many different situations, such as when using tools or machinery, when closing a door or window, or when holding or carrying objects. It can also happen accidentally, such as when catching a finger in a door or getting caught between two heavy objects.

5. How can you prevent injury from pinching?

To prevent injury from pinching, it's important to always be aware of your surroundings and to use caution when handling objects or using tools and machinery. Wearing protective gear, such as gloves, can also help reduce the risk of injury from pinching.