Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How a polar solvent works in the separation of polar dyes?

1. Nov 26, 2004 #1
    Explain how a polar solvent works in the seperation of polar dyes?
    How might chromatography be useful in forensic science? i only thing i can think of is figuring out what pen the criminal used...
    i really need help on this... :uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2004 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Nov 28, 2004 #3
    sorry...i did not get that...still clueless on how a polar solvent seperates polar dyes... :cry:

5. Nov 28, 2004 #4

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It lies on the interactions between adsorbent and solute; it is retarded by the adsorbent and since every solute has principally different interaction potential, you can theoretically separate the ingredients in a solute if you use a critical amount of needed polar solvent. However, in practice, it is not that easy. The polar the solvent is, the faster the solute go (if it is polar, too). If it is nonpolar, it starts to decelerate on the plate according to previous nonpolar runs. It may work, however, if your solute contains impurities which can be eluted under these circumstances.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?