Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How a tesseract works

1. Mar 28, 2003 #1
    could anyone explain to me how a tesseract works as far as travel is concerned? are there any articles, theories, or better yet, any formulas associated with this concept? i'd love to hear them.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2003 #2

Science Advisor

Welcome to the Forums Marlo!

Tesseracts are simply geometric shapes, and their importance to travel is not a direct relationship. They are often reffered to as a "4-D Cube"; just as a square has two lines that come together at each corner, each at 90o to the other, and a cube has three lines in that same relationship, a tesseract has a fourth line at its corner which is at right-angle to the other three.

The important thing to travel would be that, since we can logically deduce the existance of such a shape (even though we can't see it or even "picture" it), it is rational to state that that "fuorth line" does exist, and the direction in which it points is one not visible, nor even "envisionable" to us 3-D critters. If we could find a way to point ourselves in that direction, we could take a trip without moving through the space (and therefore the time) with which we are familliar. This would certainly put a new "Wrinkle" on travel!

(BTW; Say 'hi' to Aunt Beast for me, wouldya?)
  4. Mar 29, 2003 #3
    You must be a Madeline L'Engle fan... and I must be a mean jerk who says jerky things.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2003
  5. Mar 29, 2003 #4
    Any links about this? Seems interesting.
  6. Mar 29, 2003 #5
    Did Madeline L'Engle intend tesseracts for what we call "wormholes" today?
  7. Mar 29, 2003 #6
    I honestly haven't read A Wrinkle in Time since the fourth grade... and that was like 17 years ago... Jeez I'm old.

Anyway, I don't remember exactly how time travel was possible in that book, but I do remember it involved wrinkling the space-time continuum so that a time traveller wouldn't have to take the long route. I remember the analogy given was wrinkling a piece of fabric so that an ant could walk from end-to-end without having to traverse the middle.

8. Mar 29, 2003 #7
    "Wrinkles" sound like branes; the parallel dimensionality of the latter short-circuits E-M space through gravity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?