Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How about a History Section?

1. Feb 2, 2005 #1
    How about a History section?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2005 #2
    I think that is classified as a social science, which we have. I may be mistaken though. It's grouped differently in some situations.

4. Feb 2, 2005 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd consider it a humanity. Anyway, to start a new Forum we'd have to have an overwhelming demand for it. Of course it's Greg's call, but I don't see enough history threads posted to warrant a new section in addition to General Discussion and Politics and World Affairs.

5. Feb 3, 2005 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It's considered a social science by university departments in the US. That said, our particular social science forum consists almost entirely of psychometric discussions of race. If you start a thread about a historical topic, someone will find a way to relate it to the lower average IQ of some racial group with inferior genes. If nothing else, we should open up a separate psychometrics forum just to keep it out of the other social science topics.

6. Feb 3, 2005 #5

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see it.

SCIENCE= THE FUTURE

HISTORY=THE PAST

Let's think of the future. At least science people seem the unique that today thinks that way. Being afraid by the past leads to the frustration (here, in Spain, we know a lot about it. Our incompetent politicians spend all the time reminding things from the past, in particular from the Civil War. They do not think of the future, and so we roughly get by.)

Sorry, maybe it has nothing to do with the main purpose of this thread, but lately I am angry with this stupid government and his politics of fame. :yuck:

7. Feb 3, 2005 #6

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah but you need to understand the past and the mistake made during that time to make sure that mistake are not repeated in the future.

Science is all about the past. You find out what people did and did not do then you try to improve on it.

I will have to agree with loseyourname. History belongs to social sciences. However, the forum has been mostly orientated towards psychometric discussions of race.

8. Feb 4, 2005 #7
    Engineering vs science

That might be more fitting as a description of engineering:

--
    : the science by which the properties of matter and the sources of energy in nature are made useful to man in structures, machines, and products
    --
    (Merriam Webster Unabridged 3.0)

9. Feb 4, 2005 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey! A history forum, great idea, but I want a Military history sub forum, and a Napoleonic sub forum to that. While we are at it how about a cooking forum, and maybe a sewing forum....

Hummm.... Why don't we stick to Physics.. Historychannel.com has a wonderful history forum.. Wouldn't it make more sense to go somewhere like that where many people who are very knowledgeable in that field hang out? Lets stick to what we do best.

10. Feb 4, 2005 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I agree. We can't be everything to everyone. This site is called the "Physics Forums". I find it inconceivable that people would pick a site with that name to discuss history, or anything else for that matter. I am of the opinion that we already have too many sub-forums unrelated to physics as it is.

Zz.

11. Feb 4, 2005 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Gee thanks ZapperZ. (Evo - suddenly feels unnecessary) :grumpy: :wink:

12. Feb 4, 2005 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Oh dear, what have I done?

Well, since we ALREADY have those forums, Evo, then you are certainly necessary now! :)

Zz.

13. Feb 4, 2005 #12

Spoken like a true diplomate :rofl:

marlon

ps : no supermentor can be ever be unnecessary :wink:

14. Feb 4, 2005 #13
    ps thanks Zz for the links on DFT...I am gonna do my phd on this...well, i need this for my phd to be exact

marlon

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  15. Feb 4, 2005 #14

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IMO, we already have the perfect balance of breadth and depth. PF is not refereed, and we offer free membership to the public at large. That means we're going to have a lot of novices around who are interested in physics, but don't know how to frame a physical question scientifically. Given that state of affairs, we are bound to get questions such as:

"How sure are we of scientific theories?"
    "What's a tensor?"
    "Of what use is quantum theory to the real world?"
    "What do you think of cutting the funding for the SSC?"
    "Do any of you live near me?"
    "How do you solve this problem?"
    "I like science, and I like building things. Should I major in physics or engineering?"
    "What's the chemical formula for table salt?"
    "What constellations are visible this time of year?"
    "What about this guy John Titor's claims?"
    "How do you make a Forum like this?"
    etc.

None of these belong in the Physics section, but we don't want to delete them or discourage this type of thing. So, we have other sections open so that the Physics section is not cluttered. The questions above fit neatly into (respectively) philosophy, math, engineering, politics, general discussion, homework help, academic and career guidance, other sciences, astronomy, scepticism, and technology.

Having said all that, I can't think of any questions that are connected to physics or this website that would warrant a History forum. Sure historical issues related to physics come up (say, the Bohr model), but we are happy to host those types of things in the regular Physics section.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  16. Feb 5, 2005 #15

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have to defend the Engineering forums, and do not allow anyone to doubt if the questions posted there doesn't fit with the name of this web. Physics wouldn't be alive without engineering, and anyone who goes for a walk into engineering sections would realise that the questions there are sometimes more physically advanced that those posted in Physics sections.

BTW: I have seen here two new PF supermentors crown. Congratulations!

17. Feb 5, 2005 #16
    Greg has a cooking forum, tech forum, a law forum up on that link. And an art forum. I say, Greg where's the history forum? :biggrin:

18. Feb 5, 2005 #17
    I want a bicycle repair forum.

19. Feb 5, 2005 #18

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

You know guys, it aint that hard to build a forum.

20. Feb 6, 2005 #19
    The more academic topics this forum covers, the more knowledge we gain. Plus, membership will also increase. I disagree with those that say we already have too many sections; I would like to see even more sections, but only so long as they are related to academia.

21. Feb 6, 2005 #20

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Here's a link for your history forum...

History Forum courtesy EZ boards

I'd consider a history forum in general to be non-related to Greg's goal of homework help for science. Do remember, this forum was Greg's vision.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?