Exploring Other Al/O Stoichiometries than Al2O3

• Thread starter only1892
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the stoichiometry of Al/O, with the speaker mentioning a ratio of 1/1 and questioning why it is not commonly discussed like the ratio of 2/3. They also mention the possibility of other stoichiometries and ask about the simulation that allows for variable stoichiometry. The other person expresses surprise at the +1 ionization state of Al and asks about the type of simulation being used.
only1892
Hi,
I am doing some simulation and get a new structure and the stoichiometry is Al/O=1/1,not Al2O3. I searched almost all the journals, but still can not find any reference talking about a stoichiometry rather than Al/O=2/3. Is there any theoretical evidence saying that 2:3 is the only correct one? I mean, like Fe, there are FeO,Fe2O3 and Fe3O4,possiblly more. But why only Al2O3?
If people have tried to find other stoichiometry, how was it?

Physics news on Phys.org
A +1 ionization state for Al is surprising to me, since Al has 3 sp electrons. What kind of simulation are you doing that allows variable soichiometry?

Thanks for your reply.
In my simulation, there are extra Al atoms that allows to compensate the O and occupying all the tetrahedral sites of the O hcp sub-lattice.

kanato said:
A +1 ionization state for Al is surprising to me, since Al has 3 sp electrons. What kind of simulation are you doing that allows variable soichiometry?

1. What is the purpose of exploring other Al/O stoichiometries?

The purpose of exploring other Al/O stoichiometries is to understand the properties and potential applications of different compositions of aluminum oxide. This can help in developing new materials with improved properties for various industries such as aerospace, electronics, and energy storage.

2. How do researchers determine the stoichiometry of Al/O compounds?

Researchers use various techniques such as X-ray diffraction, energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy, and electron microscopy to analyze the composition of Al/O compounds. These techniques can provide information on the ratio of aluminum to oxygen atoms in the compound.

3. What are the potential benefits of using different Al/O stoichiometries?

Using different Al/O stoichiometries can lead to materials with unique properties, such as improved mechanical strength, increased thermal stability, and enhanced electrical conductivity. These materials may also have a wider range of applications compared to traditional aluminum oxide.

4. What challenges are associated with exploring other Al/O stoichiometries?

One of the main challenges is controlling the exact ratio of aluminum to oxygen atoms in the compound. This requires precise synthesis techniques and careful characterization to ensure the desired stoichiometry is achieved. Additionally, different stoichiometries may have different reaction pathways, making it challenging to predict and control the properties of the resulting material.

5. What potential applications can arise from exploring other Al/O stoichiometries?

Exploring other Al/O stoichiometries can lead to the development of new materials for various applications, including catalysis, high-temperature coatings, and energy storage devices. These materials may also have potential uses in electronic devices, such as semiconductors and sensors, due to their unique properties.