Author and Historian Dr. W. S. Davis: From Philosopher to Planetary Scientist

• Thread starter theEVIL1
  • Start date
Informal AstronomyThe Astronomy CafeIn summary, the conversation is about a potential guest, Dr. W. S. Davis, who was interviewed on a radio show last week. He is both a philosopher/church historian and a planetary scientist, and his work focuses on the history of religion and its impact on the planet. The original poster suggests having Davis as a guest on a chat, and another member provides information about Davis and his books. The conversation also touches on the connection between organized religion and science.
theEVIL1
how about...

I listened to an interview with author and historian Dr. W. S. Davis last week on wbai fm in New York. Guy sounds like he has a clue. Went from being a philosopher/church historian to a planetary scientist due to researching the history of religion and organized church history. Might make for an interesting time?

What do you all think?

-
The EVIL one

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by theEVIL1
I listened to an interview with author and historian Dr. W. S. Davis last week on wbai fm in New York. Guy sounds like he has a clue. Went from being a philosopher/church historian to a planetary scientist due to researching the history of religion and organized church history. Might make for an interesting time?

What do you all think?

-
The EVIL one

I am confused as to what your suggesting.

What do you all think?

-
The EVIL one

What do we all think is a pretty wide open question.

What do I think?...I'm surprised to see this thread in "PF feedback" instead of in "general discussion" forum. Maybe one of the mentors will move it. But I'm not suggesting this!

(Do you consider the Fans of Dr. Kaku to an organized belief system, with orthodoxy enforced by peer pressure etc, so that you somehow connect PF to organized religion? What's the connection?)

If this is a general discussion then I have an opinion. The guy Davis sounds like he is possibly interesting. One can analyze religions as organisms subject to evolutionary pressure---those religions survive and grow (in competition with other religions) which are linked supportively to practices that encourage a high birth rate and other factors contributing to transmission success like effective indoctrination of the young etc.
So I can imagine how Davis might have been a Church Historian (fascinating subject!) and have switched over to some type of Geography/Earth Science and now be studying church history but from a different angle-----like...how is religion affecting the planet and do different religions have different effects and can you predict future belief-demographics...

why leave it so much up for speculation? Why don't you sketch the gist of what the guy is saying?

Originally posted by marcus
What do we all think is a pretty wide open question.

What do I think?...I'm surprised to see this thread in "PF feedback" instead of in "general discussion" forum. Maybe one of the mentors will move it. But I'm not suggesting this!

(Do you consider the Fans of Dr. Kaku to an organized belief system, with orthodoxy enforced by peer pressure etc, so that you somehow connect PF to organized religion? What's the connection?)

If this is a general discussion then I have an opinion. The guy Davis sounds like he is possibly interesting. One can analyze religions as organisms subject to evolutionary pressure---those religions survive and grow (in competition with other religions) which are linked supportively to practices that encourage a high birth rate and other factors contributing to transmission success like effective indoctrination of the young etc.
So I can imagine how Davis might have been a Church Historian (fascinating subject!) and have switched over to some type of Geography/Earth Science and now be studying church history but from a different angle-----like...how is religion affecting the planet and do different religions have different effects and can you predict future belief-demographics...

why leave it so much up for speculation? Why don't you sketch the gist of what the guy is saying?

all I was saying was how about we ask him to do a chat? That is all. Period.

all I was saying was how about we ask him to do a chat? That is all. Period.

Oh THAT'S all!

Why did you ask what do we ALL think?
Chats and guests is purely Gregs business.

However I have collected some info about Davis for anybody who wants to use. I have no further interest, having followed up on it, but you or Greg may

His email is
drwdavis@prexar.com

He lives in Maine, he apparently gives (paid?) lectures on various topics. He has published a book about the suppression of intellectual freedom by religion and mysticism and such. Here is
more about him.

Dr. W. Sumner “Bill” Davis joined the American Association of Amateur Astronomers in February, 2001. A resident of Oakland, Maine, he has been a popular speaker, author, and freelance editorial writer on topics ranging from Parenting and Social Issues, to Religious and Church History.

With his wife and best friend Catherine, he enjoys bird watching, gardening, and reading. Bill has special interests in science, especially Astrophysics, Biochemistry, Cosmology, Radio Astronomy and Visual Astronomy. A “life long student”, he is currently attending courses in Astrophysics, and Astronomy at Colby College in Waterville, Maine. An avid reader and writer, Bill writes between five and seven books each year, as well as articles for periodicals and trade journals. Dr. Davis also contributes to science based editorial reviews as well as reviewing books on theology and religion.

Here are a couple of WS Davis books:

LOSING FAITH
A Quest for Truth
and the Origins of Life

by
W.S. Davis, Th.D

HERETICS
The Suppression of Free Thought
by
Mysticism and Religion

by
W.S. Davis, Th.D

As a Cosmotheologian, and having been trained as a Christian Minister, Bill Davis is perfectly qualified to bring into focus the long and often bloody oppression that the Church has exerted on science and free thought. His new book, HERETICS, which explores the question of what science has revealed that was so threatening to the Church, covers the time from the birth of the Christian movement to the civil rights movement. Due for publication in October, 2001. Forward by Dorion Sagan.

he is also into SETI:

---------------------------------------

What is the background of Dr. W. S. Davis?

Dr. W. S. Davis has a diverse background as both an author and historian. He has published several books on philosophy and ancient civilizations, and has also worked as a planetary scientist, studying the geology of planets and moons in our solar system.

How did Dr. W. S. Davis transition from philosopher to planetary scientist?

Dr. W. S. Davis has always been interested in both philosophy and science. He began his career as a philosopher, but later became fascinated with the geology of other planets and moons. He pursued further education and training in planetary science, eventually becoming a renowned expert in the field.

What are some of Dr. W. S. Davis' most notable works?

Dr. W. S. Davis has published numerous books and articles on various topics, including philosophy, ancient civilizations, and planetary science. Some of his most notable works include "The Philosophy of the Ancients: An Exploration of Ancient Wisdom," "Planetary Geology: An Introduction to the Geology of Other Worlds," and "The Lost City of Atlantis: Myth or Reality?"

How has Dr. W. S. Davis' work impacted the scientific community?

Dr. W. S. Davis' work has had a significant impact on the scientific community. His research on planetary geology has helped us better understand the geological processes and history of other planets and moons in our solar system. His writings on ancient civilizations have also sparked new discussions and theories among historians and archaeologists.

What is next for Dr. W. S. Davis?

As a lifelong learner, Dr. W. S. Davis is constantly seeking new knowledge and experiences. He continues to publish new works on philosophy, ancient civilizations, and planetary science, and also serves as a mentor to young scientists and writers. He is always looking for ways to bridge the gap between science and philosophy, and hopes to inspire others to do the same.