1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How accurate is a Guess in statistics.

1. Oct 29, 2003 #1
    In Stastitical Probabilities, the outcome is intepreted as a fundemental 'Law like' process.

Is this based on observer dependance?

P.S How accurate is a Guess?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "Statistical Probabilities". Are there other kinds of probabilities?

Second, I have no idea where you got the idea that, in any kind of probability, "the outcome is intepreted as a fundemental 'Law like' process. "

For one thing, there are usually many "outcomes" not "the outcome". Also, in mathematical probablility, we are typically "given" the underlying probability distribution but I would not call that 'Law like'.

If that is what you are talking about, then, no, it is not "observer dependent". Of course, when you are applying a mathematical model to a statistical problem, you might approximate the given distribution by one based on observation.

Finally, it's impossible to say how "accurate" a "guess" is.

4. Oct 30, 2003 #3

Thanks Ivy, it was a hasty posting I had been flying around a number a site's looking for a defined explination:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_probability

But your reply is correct in that my post was ill-defined, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?