Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How accurate is a Guess in statistics.

1. Oct 29, 2003 #1
    In Stastitical Probabilities, the outcome is intepreted as a fundemental 'Law like' process.

Is this based on observer dependance?

P.S How accurate is a Guess?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "Statistical Probabilities". Are there other kinds of probabilities?

Second, I have no idea where you got the idea that, in any kind of probability, "the outcome is intepreted as a fundemental 'Law like' process. "

For one thing, there are usually many "outcomes" not "the outcome". Also, in mathematical probablility, we are typically "given" the underlying probability distribution but I would not call that 'Law like'.

If that is what you are talking about, then, no, it is not "observer dependent". Of course, when you are applying a mathematical model to a statistical problem, you might approximate the given distribution by one based on observation.

Finally, it's impossible to say how "accurate" a "guess" is.
  4. Oct 30, 2003 #3

Thanks Ivy, it was a hasty posting I had been flying around a number a site's looking for a defined explination:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_probability

But your reply is correct in that my post was ill-defined, thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?