How accurate were the guns

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, during the Wild West era, guns were considered to be very accurate, with Colt's Single Action Army pistols and Remington's offerings leading the pack. Winchester lever-actions were also known for their accuracy and impressive firepower, while long-barreled single-shots were best used for hunting game. However, over time, guns have become less accurate and it is no longer possible to hit a California Condor or Spotted Owl from 50 yards away. Despite some inaccurate information about the extinction of these birds, the conversation shifted to discussing the consequences of violating the Endangered Species Act and the use of wood stoves. The term "hippy" was also brought up, with one person stating that being a "good lawyer" could
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Of the wild west?

Physics news on Phys.org
Guns aren't accurate, shooters are.

wolram said:
of the wild west?

+/- 7

Good enough to kill you. :smile:

Colt's Single Action Army pistols were very good for their time (and still are), as were Remington's offerings. For long-guns, Winchester lever-actions were pretty accurate and had impressive firepower (fast repeating action). Best of all were the long-barreled single-shots, but they were best used on game that could not shoot back.

Even today, some very accurate rounds (in a properly-made rifle) are from the black-powder era - .38-55 and .45-70 are both tack-drivers when mated up with the proper rifles.

Guns were more accurate back then than they are now. You used to be able to hit a California Condor, or Spotted Owl from 50 yards, but not any more.

turbo-1 said:
Colt's Single Action Army pistols were very good for their time (and still are), as were Remington's offerings. For long-guns, Winchester lever-actions were pretty accurate and had impressive firepower (fast repeating action). Best of all were the long-barreled single-shots, but they were best used on game that could not shoot back.

Gets his info from Red Dead Redemption.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Guns were more accurate back then than they are now. You used to be able to hit a California Condor, or Spotted Owl from 50 yards, but not any more.

Gets his info from old prospectors.

EDIT: Oh crap... that was a hilarious joke that I totally missed! Sigh... good job, Jimmy. I'm sorry.

Nicely done (Jimmy).

Jimmy Snyder said:

Clever :biggrin:

I'm going to go on a limb here and guess those birds are extinct now? Or else I'm totally missing the joke :biggrin:

Mentallic said:
I'm going to go on a limb here and guess those birds are extinct now? Or else I'm totally missing the joke :biggrin:

I'm with you on that. And if they aren't extinct, I will henceforth dedicate my life to making them so, lest the joke never make sense.

turbo-1 said:
They are not extinct, but bag-limits are very restrictive. :devil:

Time to drag out the DNA-targeting micro-nukes! Kill 'em all with one shot, it's just one fine... what $500 or so? I can live with that.

Mentallic said:

Nope, they're just much much smaller now. :tongue:

Danger said:
Time to drag out the DNA-targeting micro-nukes! Kill 'em all with one shot, it's just one fine... what $500 or so? I can live with that.
Hmm. Violating the Endangered Species act by killing a condor can send you to jail for a year AND a $100,000 fine. A bit more than $500.

turbo-1 said:
Hmm. Violating the Endangered Species act by killing a condor can send you to jail for a year AND a $100,000 fine. A bit more than $500.

That is assuming that I target them from your side of the border, where I'm not allowed. If I launch from the top of Mount Yamnuska, there isn't much that can be done about it.

Wow! If you shoot a wild turkey out of season here, or without the proper permit, you pay a $500 fine, pay a $500 "replacement fee" (despite the fact that the turkeys breed like rabbits and need no "replacement") AND lose your hunting and fishing license for 5 years.

turbo-1 said:

How do you type responses with your arms around that tree, hippy?

FlexGunship said:
How do you type responses with your arms around that tree, hippy?

He sounds more like a good lawyer than a tree hugger. :smile:

stevenb said:
He sounds more like a good lawyer than a tree hugger. :smile:
I am an avid hunter and I cut down trees to burn in my wood-stove.

turbo-1 said:
Many of you may remember the Sahara Forest before turbo-1's trip to Africa.

stevenb said:
a good lawyer

Isn't that an oxymoron? :tongue:
The appellation "hippy" is no insult to me whatsoever. Despite my home of Alberta being touted as the "Bible Belt" of Canada, it has nothing at all compared to southern Ontario. I was stuck down there for 13 years. When I was 16, my hair started to creep down to almost the tops of my ears. I received death threats, from not only fellow students but also their parents, if I didn't get a haircut. I was a "hippy". Didn't matter that I didn't drink, take drugs, party, and had a perverse attraction to astrophysics... my hair was more than 1/2" long, so I was an evil influence. Needless to say, I never cut my hair again until the end of Grade 12. For one reason or another, those who threatened me slipped off of the map.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Many of you may remember the Sahara Forest before turbo-1's trip to Africa.
That wasn't me. I had something to do with the Gobi Forest though.

Danger said:
The appellation "hippy" is no insult to me whatsoever. Despite my home of Alberta being touted as the "Bible Belt" of Canada, it has nothing at all compared to southern Ontario. I was stuck down there for 13 years. When I was 16, my hair started to creep down to almost the tops of my ears. I received death threats, from not only fellow students but also their parents, if I didn't get a haircut. I was a "hippy". Didn't matter that I didn't drink, take drugs, party, and had a perverse attraction to astrophysics... my hair was more than 1/2" long, so I was an evil influence.

:raises an eyebrow:
You smokin' that prairie weed?

Danger said:
The appellation "hippy" is no insult to me whatsoever. Despite my home of Alberta being touted as the "Bible Belt" of Canada, it has nothing at all compared to southern Ontario. I was stuck down there for 13 years. When I was 16, my hair started to creep down to almost the tops of my ears. I received death threats, from not only fellow students but also their parents, if I didn't get a haircut. I was a "hippy". Didn't matter that I didn't drink, take drugs, party, and had a perverse attraction to astrophysics... my hair was more than 1/2" long, so I was an evil influence. Needless to say, I never cut my hair again until the end of Grade 12. For one reason or another, those who threatened me slipped off of the map.

I grew up in Southern Ontario. I had longish hair when I was younger.. one my way home I used to pass by a Barbour shop that was owned by a family friend of something like 60+ years, his grandfather was my grandmothers good friend etc etc

One day while walking past I got grabbed by my shoulders and one ear by the older guy and his son, dragged into the shop and held down while they shaved my head short - then sent me on my way but not before telling me my father had instructed them to "cut his damned hair off". lol

encorp said:
I grew up in Southern Ontario. I had longish hair when I was younger.. one my way home I used to pass by a Barbour shop that was owned by a family friend of something like 60+ years, his grandfather was my grandmothers good friend etc etc

One day while walking past I got grabbed by my shoulders and one ear by the older guy and his son, dragged into the shop and held down while they shaved my head short - then sent me on my way but not before telling me my father had instructed them to "cut his damned hair off". lol

How far south? And when? I was 2 miles north of Ruthven, 5 miles out of Leamington, 35 miles SE of Windsor/Detroit. I was there from '65 to '78, and the hair thing (meaning high-school days) occurred from '70 to '74.

turbo-1 said:

not a lawyer, ... but a hunter ... well, same killer instinct at least.

Tough crowd here. Trees, forests, animals and Danger's enemies are all slipping off the map. :smile:

Danger said:
How far south? And when? I was 2 miles north of Ruthven, 5 miles out of Leamington, 35 miles SE of Windsor/Detroit. I was there from '65 to '78, and the hair thing (meaning high-school days) occurred from '70 to '74.

Ah. Land of latex rubber gloves...
:eek:

DaveC426913 said:
Ah. Land of latex rubber gloves...
:eek:

:confused:

Danger said:

Wellll. I was in Niagara. But I have lived in Windsor before... for a bout a year...

My hair thing was high school days, although it's long again now too.. but I wasn't even born until 82' LOL! So it wasn't -that- big of a deal for me.

encorp said:
I wasn't even born until 82' LOL!

Bloody 'ell, lad! I'm wearing socks that are older than you!

edit: And before some smartass chirps up... I washed them last month.

Danger said:
:confused:

I went for a weekend trip through S.Ontario a few years back.
When I left my hotel to seek a movie, a local said "Movie theatre?? Sure, I think there's one off Windsor way about an hour..."

Anyway, in the course of an hour of dropping in on a half dozen corner variety stores, I saw more racks of latex rubber gloves than I have ever seen in my entire life. Every single store had at least one giant shelf, ten nooks broad and five high, filled with every variety of latex rubber gloves.

Not hardware stores, mind. convenience stores. The kind that are open all night.

My wife and I spent very little time speculating as to why so many Leamingtonians needed late night access to the perfect size, quality and grip of a pair of latex rubber gloves.

We hightailed it back to civilization faster than http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068473/" [Broken]...

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
My wife and I spent very little time speculating as to why so many Leamingtonians needed late night access to the perfect size, quality and grip of a pair of latex rubber gloves.

Okay... Leamington had one convenience store when I left. There was an A&P, an old-folk's home, a funeral parlour, (briefly) the factory where I worked (Speedbelt Canada), and the main plant of Heinz Canada. If you had seen the number of tipped-over wagons of rotten tomatoes being skip-shoveled out of the ditch to be sent back on their way back to the plant, you would never eat ketchup again. :eek:
Believe it or not, I've never seen "Deliverance" and have no interest in doing so.

Danger said:

Amazing, Leamington is just 6 miles from me.

<h2>1. How accurate were the guns during World War II?</h2><p>The accuracy of guns during World War II varied depending on the type of gun and the conditions under which it was used. Generally, rifles and machine guns were more accurate than handguns and were capable of hitting targets at longer distances. However, factors such as weather, terrain, and the skill of the shooter could also affect accuracy.</p><h2>2. Were guns more accurate during World War II compared to previous wars?</h2><p>In general, the guns used during World War II were more accurate than those used in previous wars. This was due to advancements in technology and improvements in manufacturing processes. However, there were still variations in accuracy among different types of guns and among different models within the same type.</p><h2>3. How did soldiers ensure the accuracy of their guns during combat?</h2><p>Soldiers were trained to properly aim and fire their guns to achieve the best accuracy possible. They also had to consider factors such as wind speed and direction, distance to the target, and the type of ammunition being used. In addition, regular maintenance and cleaning of the guns were important to ensure their accuracy.</p><h2>4. Did the accuracy of guns affect the outcome of battles during World War II?</h2><p>Yes, the accuracy of guns played a significant role in the outcome of battles during World War II. The ability to accurately hit targets at a distance gave soldiers an advantage in combat. In some cases, a single well-placed shot could take out multiple enemy soldiers, making accuracy a crucial factor in determining the outcome of a battle.</p><h2>5. How has the accuracy of guns improved since World War II?</h2><p>The accuracy of guns has continued to improve since World War II due to advancements in technology and manufacturing processes. Modern guns are more precise and have longer effective ranges compared to those used during the war. Additionally, the use of advanced targeting systems and computer-aided aiming has further improved accuracy in modern firearms.</p>

1. How accurate were the guns during World War II?

The accuracy of guns during World War II varied depending on the type of gun and the conditions under which it was used. Generally, rifles and machine guns were more accurate than handguns and were capable of hitting targets at longer distances. However, factors such as weather, terrain, and the skill of the shooter could also affect accuracy.

2. Were guns more accurate during World War II compared to previous wars?

In general, the guns used during World War II were more accurate than those used in previous wars. This was due to advancements in technology and improvements in manufacturing processes. However, there were still variations in accuracy among different types of guns and among different models within the same type.

3. How did soldiers ensure the accuracy of their guns during combat?

Soldiers were trained to properly aim and fire their guns to achieve the best accuracy possible. They also had to consider factors such as wind speed and direction, distance to the target, and the type of ammunition being used. In addition, regular maintenance and cleaning of the guns were important to ensure their accuracy.

4. Did the accuracy of guns affect the outcome of battles during World War II?

Yes, the accuracy of guns played a significant role in the outcome of battles during World War II. The ability to accurately hit targets at a distance gave soldiers an advantage in combat. In some cases, a single well-placed shot could take out multiple enemy soldiers, making accuracy a crucial factor in determining the outcome of a battle.

5. How has the accuracy of guns improved since World War II?

The accuracy of guns has continued to improve since World War II due to advancements in technology and manufacturing processes. Modern guns are more precise and have longer effective ranges compared to those used during the war. Additionally, the use of advanced targeting systems and computer-aided aiming has further improved accuracy in modern firearms.