Guns aren't accurate, shooters are.

FlexGunship
Gold Member
of the wild west?

+/- 7

Good enough to kill you. :smile:

turbo
Gold Member
Colt's Single Action Army pistols were very good for their time (and still are), as were Remington's offerings. For long-guns, Winchester lever-actions were pretty accurate and had impressive firepower (fast repeating action). Best of all were the long-barreled single-shots, but they were best used on game that could not shoot back.

Even today, some very accurate rounds (in a properly-made rifle) are from the black-powder era - .38-55 and .45-70 are both tack-drivers when mated up with the proper rifles.

Guns were more accurate back then than they are now. You used to be able to hit a California Condor, or Spotted Owl from 50 yards, but not any more.

FlexGunship
Gold Member
Colt's Single Action Army pistols were very good for their time (and still are), as were Remington's offerings. For long-guns, Winchester lever-actions were pretty accurate and had impressive firepower (fast repeating action). Best of all were the long-barreled single-shots, but they were best used on game that could not shoot back.

Gets his info from Red Dead Redemption.

Guns were more accurate back then than they are now. You used to be able to hit a California Condor, or Spotted Owl from 50 yards, but not any more.

Gets his info from old prospectors.

EDIT: Oh crap... that was a hilarious joke that I totally missed! Sigh... good job, Jimmy. I'm sorry.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nicely done (Jimmy).

cronxeh
Gold Member

Clever :biggrin:

Mentallic
Homework Helper
I'm going to go on a limb here and guess those birds are extinct now? Or else I'm totally missing the joke :biggrin:

Danger
Gold Member
I'm going to go on a limb here and guess those birds are extinct now? Or else I'm totally missing the joke :biggrin:

I'm with you on that. And if they aren't extinct, I will henceforth dedicate my life to making them so, lest the joke never make sense.

Danger
Gold Member
They are not extinct, but bag-limits are very restrictive. :devil:

Time to drag out the DNA-targeting micro-nukes! Kill 'em all with one shot, it's just one fine... what $500 or so? I can live with that.

FlexGunship
Gold Member

Nope, they're just much much smaller now. :tongue:

turbo
Gold Member
Time to drag out the DNA-targeting micro-nukes! Kill 'em all with one shot, it's just one fine... what $500 or so? I can live with that.
Hmm. Violating the Endangered Species act by killing a condor can send you to jail for a year AND a $100,000 fine. A bit more than $500.

Danger
Gold Member
Hmm. Violating the Endangered Species act by killing a condor can send you to jail for a year AND a $100,000 fine. A bit more than $500.

That is assuming that I target them from your side of the border, where I'm not allowed. If I launch from the top of Mount Yamnuska, there isn't much that can be done about it.

turbo
Gold Member
Wow! If you shoot a wild turkey out of season here, or without the proper permit, you pay a $500 fine, pay a $500 "replacement fee" (despite the fact that the turkeys breed like rabbits and need no "replacement") AND lose your hunting and fishing license for 5 years.

FlexGunship
Gold Member

How do you type responses with your arms around that tree, hippy?

How do you type responses with your arms around that tree, hippy?

He sounds more like a good lawyer than a tree hugger. :smile:

turbo
Gold Member
He sounds more like a good lawyer than a tree hugger. :smile:
I am an avid hunter and I cut down trees to burn in my wood-stove.

I am an avid hunter and I cut down trees to burn in my wood-stove.
Many of you may remember the Sahara Forest before turbo-1's trip to Africa.

Danger
Gold Member
a good lawyer

Isn't that an oxymoron? :tongue:
The appellation "hippy" is no insult to me whatsoever. Despite my home of Alberta being touted as the "Bible Belt" of Canada, it has nothing at all compared to southern Ontario. I was stuck down there for 13 years. When I was 16, my hair started to creep down to almost the tops of my ears. I received death threats, from not only fellow students but also their parents, if I didn't get a haircut. I was a "hippy". Didn't matter that I didn't drink, take drugs, party, and had a perverse attraction to astrophysics... my hair was more than 1/2" long, so I was an evil influence. Needless to say, I never cut my hair again until the end of Grade 12. For one reason or another, those who threatened me slipped off of the map.

turbo
Gold Member
Many of you may remember the Sahara Forest before turbo-1's trip to Africa.
That wasn't me. I had something to do with the Gobi Forest though.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Isn't that an oxymoron? :tongue:
The appellation "hippy" is no insult to me whatsoever. Despite my home of Alberta being touted as the "Bible Belt" of Canada, it has nothing at all compared to southern Ontario. I was stuck down there for 13 years. When I was 16, my hair started to creep down to almost the tops of my ears. I received death threats, from not only fellow students but also their parents, if I didn't get a haircut. I was a "hippy". Didn't matter that I didn't drink, take drugs, party, and had a perverse attraction to astrophysics... my hair was more than 1/2" long, so I was an evil influence.

:raises an eyebrow:
You smokin' that prairie weed?