Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How accurate were the guns

1. Sep 30, 2010 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Of the wild west?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2010 #2

fss

Guns aren't accurate, shooters are.

4. Sep 30, 2010 #3

FlexGunship

Gold Member

+/- 7

5. Sep 30, 2010 #4
    Good enough to kill you. :smile:

6. Sep 30, 2010 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Colt's Single Action Army pistols were very good for their time (and still are), as were Remington's offerings. For long-guns, Winchester lever-actions were pretty accurate and had impressive firepower (fast repeating action). Best of all were the long-barreled single-shots, but they were best used on game that could not shoot back.

Even today, some very accurate rounds (in a properly-made rifle) are from the black-powder era - .38-55 and .45-70 are both tack-drivers when mated up with the proper rifles.

7. Sep 30, 2010 #6
    Guns were more accurate back then than they are now. You used to be able to hit a California Condor, or Spotted Owl from 50 yards, but not any more.

8. Sep 30, 2010 #7

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Gets his info from Red Dead Redemption.

Gets his info from old prospectors.

EDIT: Oh crap... that was a hilarious joke that I totally missed! Sigh... good job, Jimmy. I'm sorry.

9. Sep 30, 2010 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nicely done (Jimmy).

10. Sep 30, 2010 #9

cronxeh

Gold Member

Clever :biggrin:

11. Sep 30, 2010 #10

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I'm going to go on a limb here and guess those birds are extinct now? Or else I'm totally missing the joke :biggrin:

12. Sep 30, 2010 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I'm with you on that. And if they aren't extinct, I will henceforth dedicate my life to making them so, lest the joke never make sense.

13. Sep 30, 2010 #12

Hepth

Gold Member

14. Sep 30, 2010 #13

turbo

Gold Member

15. Sep 30, 2010 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Time to drag out the DNA-targeting micro-nukes! Kill 'em all with one shot, it's just one fine... what $500 or so? I can live with that.

16. Sep 30, 2010 #15

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Nope, they're just much much smaller now. :tongue:

17. Sep 30, 2010 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Hmm. Violating the Endangered Species act by killing a condor can send you to jail for a year AND a $100,000 fine. A bit more than $500.

18. Sep 30, 2010 #17

Danger

Gold Member

That is assuming that I target them from your side of the border, where I'm not allowed. If I launch from the top of Mount Yamnuska, there isn't much that can be done about it.

19. Sep 30, 2010 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Wow! If you shoot a wild turkey out of season here, or without the proper permit, you pay a $500 fine, pay a $500 "replacement fee" (despite the fact that the turkeys breed like rabbits and need no "replacement") AND lose your hunting and fishing license for 5 years.

20. Sep 30, 2010 #19

FlexGunship

Gold Member

How do you type responses with your arms around that tree, hippy?

21. Sep 30, 2010 #20
    He sounds more like a good lawyer than a tree hugger. :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook