Calculating Displacement on a Sled Ride: Horizontal and Vertical Components

• Thread starter Joe91090
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the displacement of a child riding a sled down a hill at a certain angle. The horizontal component of the displacement was found to be 20.56m using the cosine function, but there was confusion about the vertical component. It was eventually determined to be 10.53m using the sine function, with the reminder that direction matters when dealing with vectors.
Joe91090
How am I wrong ??

Homework Statement

A child rides a sled down a hill that desends at an angle of 27.1 degrees to the horizontal. The is 23.1m long.

A) what is the horizontal component of the childs displacement
B) what is the vertical component of the childs displacement

Homework Equations

SOH CAH TOA

The Attempt at a Solution

I Found the horizontal component is 20.56m is correct by cos27.1 x 23.1 but when I submitt my answer of 10.53 for the vertical by sin27.1 x 23.1 it says I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org

Joe91090 said:
but when I submitt my answer of 10.53 for the vertical by sin27.1 x 23.1 it says I am wrong.

The child slides down the hill:wink:

Make sure you're not doing Sin[27.1x23.1]. Also, double check your calculater is in degree mode

tacosareveryyum said:
More specifically you need to account for the acceleration down the slope.

Are you sure about that? Does the final displacement really depend on how fast the child gets there?

I don't know how knowing the direction the child is moving matters. The child still moves 10.53m vertically.

Joe91090 said:
I don't know how knowing the direction the child is moving matters.

Upwards is positive, so downwards is____?:wink:

wow. so simple thank you very much

Joe91090 said:
wow. so simple thank you very much

No problem; but remember direction always matters when dealing with vectors.:smile:

gabbagabbahey said:
Are you sure about that? Does the final displacement really depend on how fast the child gets there?

Yeah I miss read the question and edited my post immediately after posting it...

What is the scientific method and how does it help determine if I am wrong?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to answering questions and testing hypotheses. It involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing the results, and drawing conclusions. This method helps determine if you are wrong by requiring evidence and experimentation to support or disprove your claims.

How do I know if my data or findings are reliable and accurate?

Reliable and accurate data is obtained through careful experimentation and data collection methods. It is important to have controls in place to minimize bias and to repeat experiments multiple times to ensure consistency. Peer review and replication of results by other scientists also help to validate the accuracy of your findings.

What should I do if my hypothesis is proven wrong?

If your hypothesis is proven wrong, it is important to analyze the data and determine what went wrong. This could involve reevaluating your methods, revising your hypothesis, or conducting further experiments. It is also important to publish negative results as they can still contribute to scientific understanding and prevent others from making the same mistakes.

How can I avoid confirmation bias and ensure that my research is unbiased?

Confirmation bias is the tendency to interpret or seek out information that confirms our preexisting beliefs. To avoid this, it is important to approach research with an open mind and to actively seek out evidence that may contradict your hypothesis. It is also important to use blind or double-blind experimental designs and to have a diverse team with different perspectives to minimize bias.

How can I use my mistakes and failures to advance my research?

Mistakes and failures are an inevitable part of the scientific process. However, they can also be valuable learning opportunities. By analyzing and understanding your mistakes, you can identify areas for improvement and potentially discover new insights. Additionally, publishing and sharing negative results can help prevent others from making the same mistakes and contribute to the overall advancement of science.