How are positrons made?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi awesome physicists!
I'm interested in particles and particle accelerators. I've been wondering about how anti-matter is made. I've researched (using the infinite power of google) and have discovered that positrons (or anti-electrons) can be made by firing an electron at a heavy element, which, when the electron changes path and gives off high-energy photons which supposedly can spontaneously turn into a positron-electron pair. This sounds wierd to me as I don't understand this spontaneous change stage.
What really goes on here?

Thanks,
Joe

Answers and Replies

QuantumPion
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The phenomenon you are referring to is called pair production, where by a photon of energy greater than two times the rest mass of an electron, when interacting with a nucleus, can turn into an electron and positron pair.

Thanks. And with regard to the experiment I referred to earlier (when electrons are fired at a heavy element etc), if a cold cathode was used to fire the electrons, would the experiment be successful in the sense that an electron-positron pair would be created? And if so, would the amount of gamma radiation produced be harmful if a human was standing next to it as it happened?

Thanks. And with regard to the experiment I referred to earlier (when electrons are fired at a heavy element etc), if a cold cathode was used to fire the electrons, would the experiment be successful in the sense that an electron-positron pair would be created?
If you accelerate the electrons sufficiently, sure.
And if so, would the amount of gamma radiation produced be harmful if a human was standing next to it as it happened?
That just depends on the intensity.

Can I make a silly post and say

When a mommy electron and a daddy photon get really excited...
Sorry, I'll just shut up

Cool. Could anyone tell me how many electrons produce how many antiparticle pairs (theoretically)?

That really depends on the energy. High-energetic electrons in matter can produce many (10, 100, 1000, ... just depends on the energy) electron/positron pairs in their showers.