How are room temperature photons produced?

In summary, it appears that thermal emission of radiation occurs as a result of a reduction in the vibrational energy of molecules. This is different than how photons are produced, which is due to the interaction of atoms with each other.
McStevenF
I am trying to understand the mechanisms for room temperature thermal radiation which is in the far infrared range. I have been told that photon emission in the infrared range occurs as a result of a reduction in the vibrational energy of molecules. Is this the same as phonons? How does a phonon actually get converted to a photon?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well,phonons & photons are different animals.Sure,they're bosons,but they are different particles.Thermal emission of radiation occurs when an electron makes different quantum transitions between various energy levels in molecules...The so-called "thermal photons" (in IR & microwave) are emitted or absorbed.

Daniel.

EDIT:Because the other 2 threads were deleted,i'll say again to check both books by Davydov (hopefully they're both translated from Russian-->English,the QM one definitely is).

Last edited:
"Thermal emission of radiation occurs when an electron makes different quantum transitions between various energy levels in molecules..."

How is this so different from how photons are produced?

"Radiation" means photons.Wasn't it obvious from the context??

Daniel.

I will clarify my question. A phonon is a bundle of energy that propagates between atoms or molecules within a material i.e. a lattice vibration. Room temperature photons are generated by changes in the rotational or vibrational energy of molecules. They are not created by atomic transitions which produce visible or UV light. So my real question is how/why does a propagating phonon get absorbed by a molecule and converted to light?

You're correct, black body radiation is not created by atomic transitions. It does not necessarily involve molecular vibrations either. It's caused by the thermal collisions between atoms.

Atoms are polarizable. Two atoms brought close together will distort each other's orbitals. The effect is adiabatic, i.e. much lower in frequency than the frequencies associated with atomic energy levels. And since atoms are made up of charges, time-varying distortions produce electromagnetic radiation. The net result is that energy is transferred from thermal motion (phonons) to electromagnetic waves (photons).

The 6.5 year response time from the OP must be some kind of record. Can we expect McSteven's reply to be around March 2018? :smile:.

Claude.

At least we know it wasn't a homework question.

1. What is room temperature photons produced?

Room temperature photons are photons that are emitted at or near room temperature, typically around 20-25 degrees Celsius. These photons are produced by various sources such as light bulbs, the sun, and other electronic devices. They are a form of electromagnetic radiation and are the fundamental units of light.

2. How are room temperature photons produced by light bulbs?

Room temperature photons are produced by light bulbs through a process called incandescence. In this process, an electric current is passed through a filament inside the bulb, which heats up and emits photons. The photons are emitted in a wide range of wavelengths, resulting in the visible light that we see.

3. How do the sun and other stars produce room temperature photons?

The sun and other stars produce room temperature photons through a process called nuclear fusion. In the sun, hydrogen atoms fuse together to form helium, releasing a tremendous amount of energy in the form of photons. These photons then travel through space and reach Earth, providing us with light and heat.

4. Can room temperature photons be produced artificially?

Yes, room temperature photons can be produced artificially in a variety of ways. As mentioned earlier, light bulbs and electronic devices are common sources of room temperature photons. Lasers, which are used in many scientific and industrial applications, also produce room temperature photons through a process called stimulated emission.

5. What are the uses of room temperature photons?

Room temperature photons have a wide range of uses in our daily lives. They are essential for providing light and heat, and are also used in many technologies such as communication systems, medical imaging, and solar panels. Additionally, scientists use room temperature photons in their research to study the properties of light and develop new technologies.