How are strings allowed to vibrate in string theory?

In summary, strings in string theory are tiny one-dimensional objects that vibrate at different frequencies. They are allowed to vibrate in all 10 spatial dimensions simultaneously, but can also exist in a subset of dimensions known as "brane worlds." Some recommended introductory books on string theory include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene and "The Hidden Reality" by Michio Kaku.
Quantum Kid
I have recently been reading up on the basics of string theory and my question is this. How exactly are strings "allowed" to vibrate? In particular, do they have to be in all ten dimensions of space as predicted by M-theory at once? Or can they just "reside" in several of those dimensions?

Please excuse the novice question. I have been unable to find detailed explanations of string theory without math that is way over my head. On that note, if anyone has any suggestions for introductory books/textbooks on string theory that are between the simple popular books and the extremely complicated textbooks aimed at graduate students I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question about string theory and its basis in M-theory. I am happy to provide some insight into this topic.

Firstly, in string theory, strings are not considered to be physical objects in the traditional sense. Rather, they are tiny, one-dimensional objects that vibrate at different frequencies. These vibrations determine the properties of the string, such as its mass and charge.

Now, to answer your question about how strings are "allowed" to vibrate, we must consider the concept of dimensions in string theory. According to M-theory, there are 11 dimensions of space, with 10 of them being spatial dimensions and one being time. However, it is important to note that these dimensions are not necessarily physical dimensions that we can see or experience. They are mathematical constructs that are necessary for the equations of string theory to work.

In string theory, strings are able to vibrate in all 10 spatial dimensions simultaneously. This is known as the "compactification" of dimensions. However, it is also possible for strings to only vibrate in a subset of these dimensions, known as "brane worlds." This concept is still being explored and studied in string theory.

As for suggestions for introductory books on string theory, I would recommend "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene and "The Hidden Reality" by Michio Kaku. These books provide a good overview of string theory and its concepts without being too mathematically advanced. Additionally, there are many online resources and lectures available for those interested in learning more about string theory.

I hope this helps answer your question and provides some guidance for further exploration of string theory. Keep asking questions and seeking knowledge, and best of luck in your studies!

1. How are strings allowed to vibrate in string theory?

According to string theory, the fundamental building blocks of the universe are tiny, one-dimensional strings rather than point-like particles. These strings can vibrate in a variety of different modes, which give rise to the different particles and forces in our universe.

2. What causes the strings to vibrate?

The strings in string theory are thought to be in a constant state of vibration due to the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics. This means that even in their lowest energy state, the strings are still vibrating at a very small scale.

3. Are all vibrations of the strings the same?

No, the different modes of vibration of the strings correspond to different particles and forces in our universe. Each mode has a different frequency and amplitude, which determine the properties and interactions of the particles.

4. How does string theory explain gravity?

In string theory, gravity is not a force like it is in classical physics. Instead, it is a manifestation of the way strings interact with each other and the surrounding space-time. The curvature of space-time is caused by the collective vibrations of the strings.

5. Can strings vibrate in more than three dimensions?

Yes, in string theory, the strings are not limited to vibrating in just the three dimensions we are familiar with. The theory allows for extra dimensions, which are thought to be curled up and hidden at the subatomic level. These extra dimensions affect the way the strings vibrate and give rise to the different particles and forces we observe.