Books by Richard Dawkins and Jared Diamond: Reviews

• Thread starter kaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, both The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins and Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond are highly praised books. The former is an outstanding book with a high recommendation, while the latter is considered excellent and worth reading, though it has received some criticism for being euro-centric. Despite this, many people still highly recommend it and find it difficult to put down.
kaos
Has anyone read Richard Dawkins Blind Watchmaker?? Is it good?? And What about Jared Diamond's Guns Germs and Steel?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Blind Watchmaker is an outstanding book. My highest recommendation.

I've heard good things about Guns Germs and Steel from everyone I know who's read it. It's one of the textbooks used in some Anthropology courses in my university. However, some criticize Diamond for putting too much emphasise on the subject of his book.

Smurf said:
I've heard good things about Guns Germs and Steel from everyone I know who's read it. It's one of the textbooks used in some Anthropology courses in my university. However, some criticize Diamond for putting too much emphasise on the subject of his book.

Err what do you mean by too much emphasis?

Guns Germs and Steel is excellent, well worth a skim!

i haven't read guns, germs & steel but i have read that jared diamond is a bit of a euro-centrist. i saw a thing on the discovery channel about the book & right away noticed that the technological & scientific acheivements of the chinese, for example were more or less ignored. i wasn't very impressed with that guy based on what i saw on the show & haven't been very interested in reading the book (although i probably should if i want to be better informed :rolleyes: )

I liked The Blind Watchmaker too. It was probably the funniest and most entertaining of his books that I've read.

Anyway i got both (second hand from a friend) and started on Guns,germs and Steel. Very good IMO and can't stop reading.

1. What are the main themes in Richard Dawkins' books?

Richard Dawkins is a renowned evolutionary biologist and his books often revolve around the themes of evolution, natural selection, and the role of genes in shaping behavior and characteristics of living beings.

2. Are Jared Diamond's books only about history?

No, Jared Diamond is a multidisciplinary author whose books cover a wide range of topics such as evolutionary biology, anthropology, geography, and environmental studies. However, his books often use historical examples to illustrate his arguments.

3. How are the writing styles of Dawkins and Diamond different?

While both authors are scientists, their writing styles differ significantly. Dawkins' writing is more technical and focused on presenting scientific evidence, while Diamond's writing is more narrative and accessible to a general audience.

4. Do Dawkins and Diamond have any collaborations?

No, Richard Dawkins and Jared Diamond have not collaborated on any books. However, they have both contributed to the fields of evolutionary biology and anthropology, and their ideas have influenced each other's work.

5. Are all of Dawkins and Diamond's books well-received by critics?

No, while both authors have a large following, their books have also received criticism from some reviewers. However, their works have also been praised for their thought-provoking ideas and contribution to scientific discourse.