Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How are we to learn if we do not ask questions?

1. Nov 6, 2015 #1
    I came here to ask a question, one that was well thought out, and made the assumption of quantum technological advances that allow for signal transfer, from one source to the other, instantaneously, from anywhere in the Universe, that obey the laws of physics.

Immediately, I was insulted, and had my thread blocked.

I assure you I have the intellectual capacity, real world technological development understanding, and theoretical quantum mechanics visualization abilities, to understand the possibilities of this technology, as the founder of a technology development company in Silicon Valley.

Yet, I come here, just trying to hash out this experiment, just to exercise my brain, and I am shut down by someone who seems to have very little understanding of the technological applications of quantum mechanics, and, essentially, I'm told I've asked dumb question.

My fun has been ruined. I wish you all nothing but the best. As a final statement, the attitude that stops the asking of questions, is the attitude that prevents the development of new technologies.

Peace.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2015 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But if you had read the Terms and Rules in the INFO tab, it might have turned out differently. Please understand that the forum gets a lot of the same ideas like that. The forum is moderated to keep discussions within the realm of mainstream science. Instantaneous transfer of data isn't one of those things.

4. Nov 6, 2015 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

That's a contradiction. One is asking how to do something contrary to the physics as far as we know it. It has nothing to do with quantum mechanics, nor quantum technology.

5. Nov 6, 2015 #4
    All of this is mainstream science. Elon Musk and Richard Branson are flying us to outer space, there are driverless cars passing me in Mountain View. Google has many fascinating X projects, which have not been introduced. What is interesting here is that without an understanding of the advanced state of development our technology incubators are in, you're not understanding that all of those people that came here were asking a good and legitimate question.

The reason i asked it is because I tried looking it up on Google and could not easily find an answer. Maybe, just maybe, your refusal to allow the question, thus leaving an empty space in the information available, is what creates the constant flow of people coming here asking the same question. I'm a spatial system cracker, so I thought, I will just go ask the question, so that people who want more info can look it up.

I was trying to, simply, repair a small hole in readily available information for this subject matter, that would have brought you more traffic to this site, thus raising your user numbers. I know, after this experience I am probably not going to come here, but I was telling someone, earlier, the reason I am good at what I do, is that intelligent people often cannot see the holes in their own systems. I am able to find those holes, and provide simple solutions that people go, "Oh... ****..... I'm an idiot" and slap themselves in the head.

All I am saying is that I learned these thought experiments from reading Feyman, and he answered every letter her ever got, and called it The Joy of Asking Questions.

6. Nov 6, 2015 #5
    Mentor Nugatory closed your thread for violating rules you agreed to when you created your account, today.
    Please remember that text does not convey tone of voice very well. I read his reply to your post and did not find it insulting.
    I can see how that might have been embarrassing, but I don't think it deserves the response above.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a place that is a better match for you. Please have a long and productive life.

7. Nov 6, 2015 #6
    I most certainly will because I am the founder of a data mining collective, ethical hacktivism group, in Silicon Valley, which works as a watchdog over The US EPA, that develops web scraping utilities for capturing large sections of EPA databases, and releasing them publicly, like the wikileaks of toxic waste. I'm contributing to ending government corruption, as a primary directive, by forming a plan to extract 100,000,000 pages of information, from the The US EPA, and implementing it.

I don't feel that I deserved to be embarassed, which to me, for all my sacrifices, and hard work, is insulting.

8. Nov 6, 2015 #7

russ_watters

No, it's not. It was explicitly against mainstream science.
    Your question was allowed and it was answered. It wasn't deleted. So there is no empty space (and by the way, you could have also found the answer through the search function: we get similar questions frequently).

Where this goes from here is up to you. If you want to feel insulted, you can storm off in a huff, but might I suggest that you instead learn from what Nugatory tried to teach you? You are of course free to ask new questions based on an update of your understanding and a self-consistent starting premise.
    You're going to need to get over it, not just for here, but for everyday life. Being wrong isn't fun, but it happens to most of us every day. And by the way, if you already knew the right answer, there would have been no need to ask a question!

9. Nov 6, 2015 #8
    That's fine, but I do have national audience, so I can easily screen cap the thread, post it on my website, and then release it to the physics community myself, to the real big guys, who actually understand theoretical mechanics visualization, and its importance in developing solid theoretical physics, and the discussion can continue as long as i want it to. I just thought that you might want to have the discussion here instead.

Live long and prosper.

10. Nov 6, 2015 #9

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find it insulting that someone who doesn't understand the basics of relativity and quantum mechanics would act like they know more than the people who studied for years concepts that have been around for a hundred years. How would you feel if people went to your site and told you that you were wrong without even looking at your data or trying to understand your work?

11. Nov 6, 2015 #10

russ_watters

Really? :rolleyes:

Well, good luck to you, whatever you decide.

12. Nov 6, 2015 #11
    People do that to me every day. I got yelled at the other day because in one of my articles I said there was a hamburger joint in some city, that was actually in the next city over, but I couldn't remember, because I went on a 51,000 public education tour, and that was just to deflect that in their city, there are nitrates in the water, so sure, I get trolled all the time, but I take the time to answer everyone's questions, because its important to educate people.

Apparently, all of you can predict the future as well.

13. Nov 6, 2015 #12
    I have a passive interest in nitrates in water supplies. I'd like to read your article, where can I find it?

14. Nov 6, 2015 #13

Nugatory

Hey - hang on it for a moment - I was nearly done drafting a long private message to you with some of the backstory when I saw this.

15. Nov 6, 2015 #14
    I just don't want to be bullied out of a forum for asking a question. I am legit. You have PM's. Please be respectful to me.

16. Nov 6, 2015 #15

Mark44

True, your thread was locked, but how were you insulted? Here is what Nugatory wrote in your thread, unedited:
    I don't see what Nugatory wrote as being insulting at all.

17. Nov 6, 2015 #16
    So, say it's six months from now, and I am in a community fighting to help people who are getting burned by the chloramines in their water, and some polluters or other corrupt individual wants to defame me, by posting this thread in my Google result, and people see all this madness associated with my organization, and don't listen to me.

Then more than insult it becomes a girl who has an itchy rash, and I am trying to pay for her to go to the doctor, but I have defamed so she doesn't listen, and stays sick, This has happened to me before, these kinds of attacks, and none of you see it as detrimental, so you don't understand that that in from my frame of reference your behavior is damaging to my career.

I came here because I thought you were physicists, and I expected better behavior and to be treated with a certain modicum of intelligence and respect, as anyone would in the professional world, I wonder if any of you are actual professionals, because then you too would care about your own reputations, and we would not be having this conversation.

18. Nov 6, 2015 #17

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With logic like that I can understand how people might not listen. You have posted something that is wrong and you want to blame people who know what they're talking about for damaging your career.

19. Nov 6, 2015 #18
    Admins: Please delete my account and remove all posts. I will just go out into the real world and go to a University, and talk to a department head, I was hoping for a real debate, because I want to write about it, in the future, and I'll just gather my information from them, as I usually do.

Thank you.

20. Nov 6, 2015 #19

berkeman

This thread is done. I'll go ahead and ban you, but your posts stand.

21. Nov 6, 2015 #20

Mark44

The quote from Nugatory questions your knowledge of physics, relative to the instantaneous transmission of a signal. It doesn't question your knowledge of chemistry. In any case, and I repeat, what Nugatory wrote is not insulting, nor does it defame you.
    What behavior? You asked a question, and Nugatory answered it in a completely professional manner. What's more, the question you asked has nothing to do with cleaning up pollutants in the environment, so I fail to see how closing your thread on a subject completely unrelated to your work would affect you in any way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook