How atheistic are you? How many gods do you NOT believe in?

How many gods do you NOT believe in?

1. 2870

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. 2869

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. 2867

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. 0

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. FlexGunship

FlexGunship 740
    Gold Member

Often, members of our species rate themselves by how religious they are. I hope you all don't mind if I start a brief poll. I'm going to enter in the most common possible responses (though I know there are so many possible answers).

There are over 2870 known gods or goddesses that are classified as "deities" (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_gods_and_goddesses_are_there). Rather than ask how many you DO believe in, I'm going to pose a different question:

How many gods do you NOT believe in?

EDIT: I should be clear:
    "2870" means you are an atheist. (Perfect atheist)
    "2869" means you are a monotheist. (Almost a perfect atheist)
    "2867" means you are a traditional Christian polytheist. (Still very very atheistic)
    "0" means you are the most amazing "true believer" ever! (You could also use this as an "other" option, I guess... sorry I didn't add one.)​

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Evo

Staff: Mentor

A trick post eh? If people don't fully read your post and go by the title, they will be voting wrong.

4. FlexGunship

FlexGunship 740
    Gold Member

No, sorry. It was a mistake. I fixed the thread as quickly as I could and added an "EDIT" to clarify. Honest mistake.

[​IMG]

5. Evo

Awwww.

Was the IPU included in the list? I *do* believe in the IPU.

6. FlexGunship

FlexGunship 740
    Gold Member

I'm not 100% sure that the Invisible Pink Unicorn is worshiped as a deity. There are many many more supernatural beings that aren't included in the 2870 number. I'm pretty sure the IPU is one of the "other ones."

7. Chi Meson

Chi Meson 1,772
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since there is no god TO believe in, then there is no god NOT to believe in. Hence "0" would be the choice for the perfectly atheistic person.

Nyah :tongue:

8. G01

G01 2,687
    Homework Helper

I like the fact that all monotheists are classified as "almost perfect atheists." I'm sure that this will go over well! :rolleyes:

Also, what's a Christian polytheist?

9. FlexGunship

FlexGunship 740
    Gold Member

Hmm, it's actually impossible to argue that. You're right. It should really be: "How many god-claims do you NOT believe in?"

Sigh...

Well, to be fair (2869/2870) is very close to (2870/2870). It's 0.99965 to 1.00000. I mean, that's a pretty tight tolerance, all things considered. So, mathematically speaking, monotheists are pretty close to perfect atheists.

Some sects of Christianity worship the holy trinity has a three-figure godhead.

10. drizzle

drizzle 535
    Gold Member

I was going to go for 2869, that is I do not believe in any of these god-claims except for ONE!... Wow,that was a close one! I was about to become an atheist. :biggrin:

11. FlexGunship

FlexGunship 740
    Gold Member

This is really surprising, there are no monotheists on PF. Granted the sample size is small...

12. Problem is if you believe in one god; you would assume that all different gods are just different representations of one god so you would end up believing in all gods.

I would like one more option "NA" :biggrin:

13. FlexGunship

FlexGunship 740
    Gold Member

Not necessarily. Yahweh even had a commandment forbidding belief in competing gods like Baal. So, you could still believe in just one god but recognize a multitude of non-gods.

14. drizzle

drizzle 535
    Gold Member

This is not necessarily true. You would need to know what qualifications one must have to become a GOD? I. e. I know that I would worship Cyrus! ... Giving it a second thought, nah, a bug can kill him. :biggrin:

I'm quite busy right now, if this thread doesn't end up locked, I'd be happy to reply later.

15. Borek

I would prefer to see a "All of them" as on option. Someone selecting 2870 always risks that one or two gods have been lost during counting. Besides, we don't know how many gods are worshiped on Mars or Aldebaran, so the count is pathetically local.

16. FlexGunship

FlexGunship 740
    Gold Member

Well, can you accept 2870 as a theoretically reference value and everything else is a fraction there of? Whatever number of deities might have been proposed, that number is normalized to 2870.

17. drizzle

drizzle 535
    Gold Member

Ok, you've excluded the possibility that any of these counted gods might've claimed to be worshiped on any other place un/known to us? :biggrin:

18. Borek

Now you are twisting your own words. Have you thought about becoming a politician?

19. FlexGunship

FlexGunship 740
    Gold Member

[STRIKE]No.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Yes.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]It's not that the idea hasn't been carefully considered, but rather, the many facets have yet to be mutually resolved.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Should I decide to enter the arena of public service, I would do so in such a way so as to not compromise my dedication to both my family, and my god.[/STRIKE]

No comment at this time.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  20. drizzle

drizzle 535
    Gold Member

:rofl:

21. Borek

No, I am just pointing to the fact that the number given is almost for sure underestimated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?