1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How big a deal is this?

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    hey physics grad school gurus,

i am an undergraduate senior applying to physics graduate school for next fall.

working with one of my advisors we published a proceedings paper for the 2007 SPIE noise and fluctations conference this year. ( http://spie.org/x6628.xml )

how different is this from publishing a paper in a physics journal? are proceedings papers the same as papers accepted in physics journals? or are they less of a big deal in the eyes of graduate physics admissions boards? do they matter at all?

thanks for your input!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2

J77

SPIE's not bad.

It's not a journal publication, in that you usually know the reviewers (your colleagues), but you can put it down as published proceedings.

e2a: for me it's more about presenting current, unfinished work.

Also, I've had reviewers for journals tell me my stuff's not new because it's already appeared in my SPIE articles -- of course, they have to be argued down. These days, I like to fill the SPIE pages with large pictures :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?