How big is a BLACK HOLE? Can it be calculated ?

In summary, the size of a black hole is determined by its mass, with the radius of the event horizon being directly proportional to the mass. This means that black holes can vary in size, with some being as small as 6 kilometers in diameter and others being millions of kilometers in diameter. It is possible to calculate the size of a black hole using a formula involving its mass and the speed of light. Additionally, there is no limit on how big a black hole can get, and some galaxies are believed to have extremely massive black holes at their centers.
timejim
How big is a BLACK HOLE? Can it be "calculated"?

I was curious as to whether or not the size of a Black Hole can be calculated. If known, can the size of black holes vary, I mean, are there small ones, large ones, etc.?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The size of a black hole is defined by its mass. For a given mass, there is a length called the Schwarzschild radius, which is proportional to the mass. If the object in question is small enough to be inside this radius, it is a black hole. Anything crossing this boundary then becomes part of the black hole.

So the answer to the question is, they can be any size, but for a given size, the mass is huge. A black hole the size of a smll seed would have the mass of a mountain range (or so I am told by Charles Stross' sf novel Singularity Sky, and I have every reason to believe he did his homework) :=).

In general relativity, the most factible type of black hole is a Kerr black hole, that have a singularity with the shape of a ring.They have two, not one, event horizons
It has been proposed to create artificial little black holes here in laboratories in earth. These are called optical black holes

Originally posted by timejim
I was curious as to whether or not the size of a Black Hole can be calculated. If known, can the size of black holes vary, I mean, are there small ones, large ones, etc.?

the size of a black holes varies all over the place

a black hole with the mass of the sun would have a 6 kilometer diameter

a black hole with the mass of the planet Jupiter would have a five to six meter diameter, I forget exactly

it is easy to calculate the radius if you know the mass, especially in the fairly ordinary case where you assume the hole is not electrically charged and not rotating. then it is an ordinary "
schwarzschild" which is to say "kosher" black hole and there is a real simple formula for the radius of the spherical event horizon which light doesn't escape from and which you must not touch

the size of the event horizon is what people ususally mean by the size of the hole

--------------

anyway here's the formula, you asked about calculating

Say M is the mass of the stuff that collapsed to make the hole, the mass of the hole itself in fact

And G is the famous Newton constant 6.674 E-11 cubic meter per sq. second per kilogram.

the radius of the event horizon (the dark ball that it is good to stay away from)
is 2GM divided by the square of the speed of light

[tex]\frac{2GM}{c^2}[/tex]

So take an example! Suppose M is 9 E27 kilograms

Then multiply by G and you get 6.674x9 E16 cubic meter per sq second.

And divide by square of speed of light which is 9 E 16 sq. m per sq. second

You get 6.674 meters so twice that is the radius of the hole

the hole is around 13 meters radius or 27 meters diameter.

Well you asked about calculating the size of the thing. It is not my fault if it comes out a bit dumb and clunky. Calculation has that aspect.

Last edited:

Originally posted by timejim

In principle there really is no limit on how big a black hole can get or have. Any amount of mass at all can in principle be made to form a black hole if you compress it to a high enough density. Logically though, however big the black hole is you can assume that is how big the massive star was. Also Astronomers suspect that many galaxies harbor extremely massive black holes at their centers, and some of these black holes are million times the more mass of our Sun, or or 10^{36} kilograms.

Ted Bunn:
The more massive a black hole is, the more space it takes up. In fact, the Schwarzschild radius (which means the radius of the horizon) and the mass are directly proportional to one another: if one black hole weighs ten times as much as another, its radius is ten times as large. A black hole with a mass equal to that of the Sun would have a radius of 3 kilometers. So a typical 10-solar-mass black hole would have a radius of 30 kilometers, and a million-solar-mass black hole at the center of a galaxy would have a radius of 3 million kilometers. Three million kilometers may sound like a lot, but it's actually not so big by astronomical standards. The Sun, for example, has a radius of about 700,000 kilometers, and so that supermassive black hole has a radius only about four times bigger than the Sun.

How big is a BLACK HOLE?

The size of a black hole can vary greatly depending on its mass. The smallest black holes, called "micro" black holes, can have a mass equivalent to that of a large asteroid or mountain. On the other hand, supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies can have a mass equivalent to billions of suns.

Can it be calculated?

Yes, the size of a black hole can be calculated using its mass and the equations of general relativity. However, accurately determining the size of a black hole can be challenging due to the intense gravitational forces that distort space and time near the black hole.

What is the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon is the point of no return for objects that are falling into a black hole. This is the boundary beyond which the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light, making it impossible for anything, including light, to escape from the black hole's gravitational pull.

How is the size of a black hole measured?

The size of a black hole is typically measured by its Schwarzschild radius, which is the distance from the center of the black hole to its event horizon. This can be calculated using the mass of the black hole and the gravitational constant.

Are there any other methods for measuring the size of a black hole?

Yes, there are other methods such as observing the accretion disk around the black hole or measuring the gravitational lensing effects on surrounding objects. However, these methods can be less accurate and are often used in conjunction with other measurements.