Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How big is a quark?

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1
    Is it true you have 3 quarks that make up a proton...............but one quark is bigger than a proton? How come?

Can it be said that a quark is the smallest size that a sub-atomic particle can ever be broken down to? :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2
    I'm not sure what r u laughing for??

A proton is made of 2 up quarks and one down(uud), and a quark isn't bigger than a proton...

A quark isn't the smallest sub atomic particle...

Here some link that might be usefull...
    http://particleadventure.org/particleadventure/frameless/atom_fund.html

Just click on the enxt arrow in the upper right corner of the page to proceed...

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3
    You might be confusing mass with size. It's true that the later quark generations are heavier than a proton, the top quark is even as heavy as a gold atom!

5. Dec 11, 2005 #4
    NO actually quark possesses the partial charges only some how the masses and sizes are being determined by the "Higg's particles" and the gravitation by the "gravitons". So, it can be predicted that eavh fundamental property is being possessed by its own corresponding fundamental PARTICLE. Somehow, their discoveries are yet running...

If anyone thinks that I'm having any misconfusion for this funda please clear me the system of particle.

6. Dec 31, 2005 #5
    We assume that these particles are one dimensional point like particles. So size and mass is not an appropriate word for them. And the higgs boson is still havent been found yet. It is hypothesized that the higgs boson acts as a messenger particle to show mass.

7. Dec 31, 2005 #6

arivero

Gold Member

Of course if quarks are lighter than protons, then Compton Length is greater. But this was not a "paradox" about quarks, it already happens with the electron at rest: its Compton Length is a lot greater than the one of a proton at rest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?