Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How big is your place?

1. Jun 18, 2009 #1

drizzle

Gold Member

[mine is 500 m2 yeah too big, I can’t stand tight places, it makes me feel like suffocated, I don’t know how some Japanese people manage to live in a really really tight places, some may say it depends on family members, but I truly can’t live in such places, even if I go to visit a friend who live in a tiny apartment I ask to go out some place, but if I had to stay at their place I’ll be like tensed all the time but once I leave I feel relieved. is it kind of a phobia? though I don't feel afraid... what about you?]...:biggrin: nice trick heh

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2009 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I live in a small place. I'm curious to know why you need such a big place.

4. Jun 18, 2009 #3

drizzle

Gold Member

I think I did tell why?!!

5. Jun 18, 2009 #4
    The title reminded me the following video :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. Jun 18, 2009 #5

drizzle

Gold Member

I just saw the title and then closed the link, that was…a sick joke :yuck:

7. Jun 18, 2009 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not really. Seems like you questioned it.

8. Jun 19, 2009 #7

drizzle

Gold Member

I’ve just questioned if it’s a phobia or so

9. Jun 19, 2009 #8
    Drizzle, japanese people don't choose to live in small places, Japan is extremely overcrowded and they have to get as many flats into the available area as possible. Theres no choice about it. When they build new land (reclaimed from the sea) they have massive waiting lists for people wanting to move into the new areas and do lotteries to ensure fairness in deciding who gets them. There are so many people needing homes they litterally take what they can get regardless of size.

I on the other hand, can't say I'm too sure. As much as a big house appeals to me, I always find myself considering running costs and maintenance costs etc. and they never come up trumps. Then again I don't like ridiculously small places.

10. Jun 19, 2009 #9
    Citation?

edit: No, don't bother.

11. Jun 19, 2009 #10
    I can't even begin to believe you wanted a citation for that. It's one of the main topics throughout my A Level Geography course. Granted it was a few years ago, but still. Given the population and extremely high population density of japan it isn't difficult to understand.

12. Jun 19, 2009 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not going to bother with the math. My house is 25 x 25 feet on three levels, plus a 20 x 20 foot one-story addition which is the kitchen and a 25 x 10 fully enclosed porch. I would like to replace the porch with a 3-car garage/workshop.

13. Jun 19, 2009 #12

turbo

Gold Member

My house is a pretty tiny log cabin. It's enough for me and my wife, but we have had to work hard to maximize storage/utility space.
    greenacres.jpg
    Since we live out in the country, casual shopping is not an option. You have to plan ahead, stock up during sales, and make use of the chest freezers. If you have to make a run to the nearest supermarket in order to make tonight's supper, you have screwed up!

14. Jun 19, 2009 #13

Borek

Staff: Mentor

We have slightly over 80 sqm on the ground level, plus over 50 sqm of the floor in the attic - but with slopes on both sides and below 2.05 m in the highest point. I think it counts as about 25 sqm of 'living surface' according to Polish law. Plus garage - something about 20 sqm.

That was more than enough for three of us, since Junior moved we can play hide and seek. And I have a feeling living in larger place would be a waste of space. I would like to rearrange this house as it was designed by some idiot, but that's different story.

This house is made of three modules. They were built somewhere else and transported here. Original desing called for two identical, narrow modules, and one wider, but once developer started to transport the modules they learnt that it is too wide - and they should ask for a special permit for oversized transport each time (and they built 54 similar houses here). So they decided to change the desing and make one narrow module (2.2 m) and two identical ones, slightly wider (2.8 m). Thus maximum width of the rooms is regulated by the road traffic regulations. Part of the house is room/kitchen 11 meters long and 2.8 m wide - good proportions for a shooting range, not so good for watching TV comfortably.

15. Jun 19, 2009 #14
    What's with the antenna, turbo-1?

16. Jun 19, 2009 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That's not an antenna, that's a winch. He lifts the house up into the clouds during floods.

What I don't get is - being that he appears to live on a piece of land big as all God's Creation - why does he worry about finding storage space??

17. Jun 19, 2009 #16

drizzle

Gold Member

:rofl: nice house though turbo-1

18. Jun 20, 2009 #17

Borek

Staff: Mentor

19. Jun 20, 2009 #18
    I lived in Japan for nine years. I got married and started a family there. When my second child was born, I decided I could no longer live in such a small place and came back to the US. The town I lived in was 50 km from the center of Tokyo, and 10 km from the south east coast. My apartment was small, but there were single family dwellings right next to it that were large. They did not have big yards, the houses taking up almost all of the lot they were on.
    In my opinion, your description of the situation there is exaggerated. In fact, some parts of Japan are underpopulated. The south east coast is far more crowded than the north west coast. The land in the middle is mountainous. People flock to the 3 big cities (Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya) and their suburbs regardless of the inconvenience. There's a spiral effect, that's where the jobs are and so even more crowding occurs. The business capital as well as the political capital is Tokyo. There had been some talk of moving the political capital to an underpopulated area in order to spread out the population more reasonably, but that went nowhere. I left there 15 years ago. By that time, the only land I know of that was reclaimed from the sea was used to build an airport, not residential dwellings, but I haven't kept up. If it came to that, it seems to me they could more cheaply and safely level some of the mountainous areas.

20. Jun 20, 2009 #19
    I was referring to the big cities as this is where the majority of people live and work. There was a new residential 'land reclamation' just after the airport (can't remember the name). Yep, they should use the mountain areas more.

Well if there's one thing we can agree on, it's that they're not very good at reclaiming land. The airport is sinking. Looks like the sea wants it back!

21. Jun 22, 2009 #20
    We have a 1040 sq foot (~100 sq m) 2-bedroom apartment, with 2 kids and number 3 on the way. After number 3 turns one though, we'll have to move to a new place.

We live in a tiny place mainly because we want to live "downtown", and in our city, nice (aka. faculty/professional style -- not student-occupied), handicapped accessible (our oldest son uses a wheelchair) places are hard to find. Houses around here aren't often accessible either -- due to lots of hills.

The pluses are that we only have one vehicle (our accessible van)... and I often walk or ride the free trolley to work. Then there's always stuff going on downtown... free concerts, farmer's markets, festivals, etc.

It would either be the city or the country (like turbo) for us (no burbs thank you!)... and for our eldest son, the city is best. I just try to get out a lot (since my husband and sons can drive me batty!).

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook