Can a DC Source Power an Average Sized Home for 24 Hours?

• Thread starter Flyingwing12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of powering a home for 24 hours using a DC source and the challenges that come with it. It is suggested that converting all appliances to DC would be necessary, but it would also require significant work and may not be as efficient as using an inverter with AC appliances. The use of alternative energy supplies, such as solar panels and low voltage systems, is also mentioned as a more cost-effective option.
Flyingwing12
How big of a battery would...

How big of a battery would it take to power the average sized home for 24 hours?

Considering basic kilowatt-hour consumption with AC. Would it even be possible to power a home off a DC source?

I would hypothesize that you would have to change all of your existing AC appliances to DC.

Which would take some serious work.

Just a question I have had for a while.

P.S. If you view this, please leave an answer.

Engineering news on Phys.org

do some calculations and see what figures you come up with

work on...
a number of lights at X watts each for X hours / day
look for some info on a DC fridge/freezer and get its power consumption in Watts
same with your cooking gear ... toaster, stove, jug for boiling water etc

add it all up for the number of total kW/hrs

as far as appliance type goes ... AC or DC
well you have 2 choices of supply, you could leave it all AC and use an inverter off the batteries ... inverters are available at the kW level and are getting more and more efficient

or you could do as you said and convert the housee to DC and cut out the DC to AC conversion losses.
But if you do that, you need to consider the DC losses at running gear from probably 12 or 24V DC and running that throughout a house at high current levels is going to be VERY lossy compared to the higher voltage of AC 110/230V and lower current

Dave

An affordable, typical car battery will give you 100Ahr (probably half that, if you don[t want to break it). Thats 100X12 Whrs or about one unit (1kWh). How many kWh would you estimate that your home would use in a day? Sounds to me that you'd need quite a few car batteries to do it that way!

If you are considering alternative energy supplies then you need to think more radically. For the heating part of your demand (the greatest, by far for most homes), storing the energy as heat from solar heating panels would be much cheaper and longer lasting. Use PVs and batteries only for the electronic equipment, lighting and the motors. Have a low voltage system for all the small electronic stuff that uses mains adaptors and for LED lighting with a low power inverter only for the stuff that really needs mains voltage. That would modify considerably the battery capacity that you'd need.

1. How big of a battery would I need for my phone?

The size of battery you need for your phone depends on the type and model of your phone, as well as how often you use it. Most smartphones require a battery between 2000-4000 mAh (milliamp hours) to last a full day with moderate usage.

2. How big of a battery would I need for an electric car?

The size of battery needed for an electric car varies depending on the make and model of the car, as well as the desired range. On average, electric cars have a battery capacity between 60-100 kWh (kilowatt hours) and can travel around 200-300 miles on a single charge.

3. How big of a battery would I need for a small household?

The size of battery needed for a small household depends on the energy usage of the household. On average, a small household with 2-3 people may require a battery between 5-10 kWh to power essential appliances during a power outage.

4. How big of a battery would I need for a camping trip?

The size of battery needed for a camping trip depends on the length of the trip and the devices you plan to use. For a weekend camping trip with basic essentials such as a phone and portable speaker, a 100-200 Wh (watt hours) battery should suffice.

5. How big of a battery would I need for a solar panel system?

The size of battery needed for a solar panel system depends on the energy usage of the household and the amount of sunlight in the area. On average, a solar panel system may require a battery between 10-20 kWh to store excess energy for use during low sunlight periods.