1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How big should asteroids be to

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    Consider main-belt chondritic asteroids. How large should be an asteroid so that the
    maximal internal temperature exceeds the melting temperature of ice? Of rocks? For your
    calculations, use the present-day chondritic heat production w = 4×10-12 W kg-1, typical
    thermal conductivity of slightly fractured rock k = 2 W K-1m-1, and density r = 2700 kg
    m-3 representative of chondritic materials. Make (and explain) a reasonable guess about
    the surface temperature Ts and melting temperatures Tm of ice and rocks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF - you have to show some attempt to work out the homework before we can help.

4. Nov 8, 2009 #3
    well i know heat flux = -k(dt/dr) this is change in temperature with depth and thermal diffusivity x= k/pC (here p is density and C is heat capacity). I just don't know how to apply heat production. I feel like i'm missing an equation and i have no idea what it is.

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Heat production is given per mass, so with the density it's easy to work out heat production/volume. If you assume a spherical asteroid you can get a heat prouction / radius relation

6. Nov 8, 2009 #5
    the units for that would be W/m^3. this is almost heat flux (W/m^2). where would i go from there?

7. Nov 9, 2009 #6
    asteroid size

How large should be the body so that the maximal internal temperature reaches given
    temperature Tm (melting temperature)?

I'm thinking i can use F= K*[(Ta-Tb)/(Ra-Rb)]. where F is heat flux, K is thermal conductivity, T is change in temperature and R is change in depth.
    I'm thinking the radius i need should be R=(K*(Tm))/F, but i'm not sure if it is that easy.

I need some reassurance.

Thank you

8. Nov 9, 2009 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

(two threads on the same question merged into one)

(thread moved to Advanced Physics Homework Help)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook