How Does Blue Tack Adhere to Smooth Surfaces?

• Thread starter sniffer
  • Start date
In summary, the sticky nature of blu-tack is due to the fact that it is a long-chain hydrocarbon polymer that forms hydrogen bonds with other substances.
sniffer
suppose we have a very smooth and hard surface such as mirror, and we stick a blue tack on it.

there is no chemical reaction. what force keeps it stuck?

is it electromagnetic?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not electromagnetic as such, although there are certainly electromagnetic forces which play a part in the bonding within the substance.

It's just sticky! Long-chain hydrocarbon polymers often form these gooey, sticky substances. Turning them into a usable product is just a case of getting the right balance of tackiness, without being too sticky.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/Jan2003/1043271591.Ph.r.html

A good reference Brewnog, but for my money "becasue it's sticky" isn't really an answer. What does it mean for something to be sticky?

I found the answer (or at least, the author's belief) in your link:

"...Hydrocarbon polymers is the adhesive component in Blu-Tack. Polymers tend
to be pretty sticky; they are long chained hydrocarbons that have lots of
hydrogen on the surface that tend to form physical bonds with anything
that they come in contact with
..."

Hi there,
I'm also very interested in the mechanism of blu-tack.
I don't really understand why hydrocarbon polymers are adhesive. From my chemistry knowledge, hydrocarbon polymers are supposed to be non-polar, leave alone forming hydrogen bonds. Their nature should be like oil - slippery instead of sticky.
However, let's assume it is a long carbon chain with a lot of OH groups attached. How do you explain then, that blu-tack also sticks to smooth non-polar substances? No hydrogen bonds are supposed to be formed. I am still very confused.
Moreover, blu-tack has the property of being elastic, yet capable of being molded. Is its molecular structure like that of metal, which recoils by electrostatic force, or is it like a rubber band, which recoils due to thermo-energy?

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_rubber#Properties
In most elastic materials, such as metals used in springs, the elastic behavior is caused by bond distortions. When force is applied, bond lengths deviate from the (minimum energy) equilibrium and strain energy is stored electrostatically. Rubber is often assumed to behave in the same way, but it turns out this is a poor description. Rubber is a curious material because, unlike metals, strain energy is stored thermally.

1. How does Blue-Tack stick to surfaces?

Blue-Tack is a type of reusable adhesive made from a synthetic rubber compound. It works by forming a temporary bond with surfaces through a combination of physical adhesion and cohesive forces. When pressed onto a surface, the Blue-Tack conforms to small imperfections and creates tiny suction cups, allowing it to stick firmly in place.

2. What surfaces can Blue-Tack stick to?

Blue-Tack can stick to a variety of surfaces, including most walls, glass, metal, wood, and even paper. However, it may not adhere well to very rough or uneven surfaces, as it relies on creating a tight seal for its stickiness to work.

3. Is Blue-Tack safe to use on walls?

Yes, Blue-Tack is generally safe to use on walls. It is designed to be non-toxic and non-staining, making it suitable for use in most environments. However, it is always a good idea to test a small area first, as some types of paint or wallpaper may be more susceptible to damage from adhesives.

4. How many times can I reuse Blue-Tack?

The number of times you can reuse Blue-Tack depends on how well you take care of it and the type of surface it is used on. If properly stored and kept clean, Blue-Tack can be reused multiple times. However, over time it may lose its stickiness and will eventually need to be replaced.

5. How do I remove Blue-Tack from surfaces?

To remove Blue-Tack, simply roll or press the adhesive putty gently until it comes off the surface. It is important not to pull or stretch the Blue-Tack, as this can leave residue or damage the surface. If any residue is left behind, it can be easily removed with a small amount of rubbing alcohol or an adhesive remover specifically designed for Blue-Tack.