1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Calculate Cat's Jump?

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    Hello Physics Mavens,

Just watched one of my cats make two upward jumps; both with pinpoint accuracy.

(Cats are amazing creatures.)

One height was ~74cm above the floor; the other height ~81cm. He cleared both ledges by ~3cm and softly touched down on his paws at--what seems to be--near zero velocity.

In addition to being amazed by the accuracy of his internal computer...I wonder how one calculates the force he puts into each jump? Assuming there's a physics formula(s)--would you be so kind as to post an approach/solution?

CAT's weight: ~0.465kg
    Height of First Ledge*: ~74cm
    Height of Second Ledge*: ~81cm

*To clarify: He jumped from the floor to the first ledge...jumped back (down) to the floor...then jumped up to the second ledge--in this observation, he did not jump from the first ledge to the second.

If F = ma = gm; how much 'a' does he exert when leaving the ground such that his 'a' at (near) the desired height (+ ~3cm) approaches zero?

Also, is there a way to calculate the duration (time) of his jump?

Many, many thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Plane Wryter

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In order to get a force, you need to know for how long he applies this force. All you can get from the information given is the impulse (with a lot of approximations).

You can use energy conservation to get the initial velocity he needs to attain to reach the heights required: [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2=mgh[/itex]. With this velocity, you know the change in momentum [itex]\Delta p = mv[/itex], and therefore the total impulse [itex]I=F_{tot}\Delta t=\Delta p[/itex]

4. Nov 26, 2011 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Nov 26, 2011 #4
    Your cat only weighs 1 pound? How can a tiny kitten jump that high? My adult cat weighs 11 pounds.

6. Nov 27, 2011 #5
  7. Nov 27, 2011 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook