1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can a light bulb be made more efficient so that it emits more light in the visible spectrum?

1. Oct 14, 2014 #1
    I just finished an experiment on blackbody radiation, and one of the post lab questions asked me on the possible ways in which a light bulb can be made more efficient such that the majority of the light it produces falls in the visible spectrum.

After some quick research I think one of the ways is to replace the filament with a semiconductor material so that the lightbulb essentially becomes an LED, but I'm not sure if that fully answers the question. I appreciate any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you do that, what you have is just an LED bulb, which you can already buy, so that isn't a NEW way to do it but it certainly IS a way to do it.

4. Oct 14, 2014 #3

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

What does an Edison incandescent filament lightbulb emit other than visible light that might be converted to visible light?

5. Oct 14, 2014 #4

NTW

In an incandescent light bulb, there is a lot of energy emitted in infrared wavelengths. There is an easy way to increase the visible-light component, but at a cost...

6. Oct 14, 2014 #5
    Is it to choose a filament whose metal has a very high melting point and/or simply make the lightbulb dimmer?

7. Aug 13, 2015 #6
    Hi all,

I'm joining this thread as I have a question related to the topic of IR/visible light radiation from light bulbs. I've built a multitouch display using infra-red light, and I found that the ambient light from my ceiling light bulb is interfering with my device. I was wondering if changing my light bulb (a halogen) to an LED energy saving light bulb would reduce the amount of IR emitted ?

Thanks

8. Aug 13, 2015 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Better to post a new thread. ANd to do some googleing beforehand. Plenty of answers around ! e.g. here

spectral_responses2.png

9. Aug 13, 2015 #8
    Thank you. Apologies for messing up with the thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted