How Birds Fly: Physics Explained

• Thread starter karim102
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses how birds fly and the different methods they use to generate lift. It also mentions that birds don't fly higher than needed and that they use thermals to save energy.
karim102
Hi Room:!) ,
How are you?
My question is about "How can bird fly?" I want to exactly explain it, by
way in physic. what are the forces which effect the bird?
Thanks
I appreciate it:biggrin: .
Sincere
Karim:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
The first link from above still refers to the hump theory where the air has to travel faster over the top than the bottom. It travels faster simply because it's being drawn towards a low pressure area created by the wing.

Lift is generated by accelerating air downwards, via the force = mass times acceleration. Coinciding with this downwards acceleration of air will be pressure diffentials on the wing. A bird can flap it's wings to generate downforce, like a hummingbird, or it can glide like a pelican.

The article also mentions that birds don't fly higher than needed, but doesn't mention the fact that birds will use thermals to save energy. I fly radio control gliders and quite often share thermals with birds. Predator birds will only thermal up to the point where they can barely see their prey. Here in southern California, the local seagulls will thermal the highest, going into the clouds, since their intent is to get as much out of a thermal as possible before gliding onwards to another location.

At some slope sites, where there is an updraft of air, you will find some birds diving downwards, and gliding back upwards in the updraft, apparently just for fun.

Hi,
I am so sorry man, I don't know that but now I know everything about your froum, I believe your froum is amazing. I really happy to be here.
I appreciate it.
Thanks

1. How do birds generate lift?

Birds generate lift through the shape and movement of their wings. The curved shape of the top of the wing and the flat shape of the bottom create differences in air pressure, allowing the bird to stay aloft. As the bird flaps its wings, it also creates a downward force that propels it forward.

2. What is the role of air resistance in bird flight?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a crucial role in bird flight. The shape of a bird's body and feathers are designed to reduce drag and allow for efficient movement through the air. If a bird were to encounter too much air resistance, it would struggle to maintain lift and would have a difficult time flying.

3. How do birds maintain stability while flying?

Birds maintain stability through a combination of factors, including their wing shape, their center of gravity, and their tail feathers. The curved shape of the wing allows for stability and control, while the center of gravity balances the bird's weight. The tail feathers also play a role in stability by adjusting and controlling the bird's direction in flight.

4. How do birds conserve energy while flying?

Birds conserve energy while flying through various techniques, such as soaring, gliding, and using thermals. Soaring involves using upward air currents to maintain altitude without flapping their wings, while gliding involves using gravity to descend without using energy. Thermals are columns of warm air that birds can use to gain altitude without expending much energy.

5. Can birds fly in all types of weather conditions?

Birds have adapted to fly in a wide range of weather conditions, but some conditions can be more challenging for them. Heavy rain or strong winds can make it difficult for birds to fly, and they may seek shelter during these times. Additionally, birds that migrate long distances may avoid flying during harsh weather conditions to conserve energy and ensure a successful journey.