How can bone dry seeds carry DNA?

• Biology
  • Thread starter musicgold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna
In summary, a seed can remain dormant for long periods of time, depending on the environmental conditions.
musicgold
Homework Statement
It is my understanding that DNA exists only in living cells. When a grain of wheat is dryed in the sun for days, how can it still act as a seed the next season? Wouldn't all cells be dead in a dry seed?
Relevant Equations
How does the process of life restart once a seed gets wet?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What research have you done on this so far? What have you found out?

Likes TeethWhitener
phinds said:
What research have you done on this so far? What have you found out?

From my research I learned that a seed begins to grow when it absorbs moisture, triggering the cells and enzymes within the seed to multiply, and that an embryo can wait inside a seed for decades in some cases.

But my question is about the stage before that. If a seed is bone dry, no cell can survive. If no cell is live, there can't be DNA in its nucleus. Without its DNA and genes, how can a cell create enzymes when it gets moisture?

Also, I forgot to mention that this is not a homework question. It is something I am curious about.

An observation: so-called 'Anasazi beans' were found in US SW Indian ruins that were abandoned around 1100CE. They were in pots. The settlers in Dove Creek Utah germinated the beans 800 years later and have been growing them ever since. See the link below for details.

So your observation needs revision. IMO. How do you know that the seeds are bone dry? And what is the moisture content of 'bone dry?' Zero? The testa (skin) of beans resists water moisture movement somewhat.
It takes about 8-12 hours of cool water immersion to completely rehydrate dried beans - see any recipe for preparing dry beans.

Some pictures and some history:
https://www.anasazibeans.com/beans.html

Likes BillTre and musicgold
Thanks. That reminds me that, many archeological finds include DNAs from ancient remains such as plants and animal bones. So I am not sure now.

Also, the reason, I used the term "bone dry" is because I have seen how wheat grains are dried. They are left in the hot sun for days to remove moisutre. Could there still be moisture at their core? Don't know.

What makes you think that DNA magically disappears when a seed dries out?

Likes sysprog, BillTre and jim mcnamara
TeethWhitener said:
What makes you think that DNA magically disappears when a seed dries out?
I don't mean to say that DNA disappears. I feel a cell wouldn't be able to survive after the seed is dried so much. So I am wondering how the process of life kick starts again one the seed gets some moisture.

It is well known that if you roast a seed, it will not germinate. So when do we cross the line that the seed can't start life again.

musicgold said:
I feel a cell wouldn't be able to survive after the seed is dried so much. So I am wondering how the process of life kick starts again one the seed gets some moisture.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccation_tolerance
musicgold said:
It is well known that if you roast a seed, it will not germinate. So when do we cross the line that the seed can't start life again.
Roasting involves raising the material to a high temperature. This is different from dehydrating a material.

Likes sysprog and BillTre
musicgold said:
If a seed is bone dry,
How dry is "bone dry"? I guess no moisture content.

When a grain of wheat is dried in the sun for days,
There is moisture in the air as humidity, which would be in equilibrium with the moisture within the seed. Although, as one heats the seed, either with the sun or through artificial methods, more of the water s driven out of the seed. Too much of a high temperature for too long a time and all the moisture could be driven out.

Likes BillTre
musicgold said:
It is my understanding that DNA exists only in living cells.
This is just not true.
DNA is isolated all the time in labs.
It is also found by archeologists and paleontologists, in not living cells.
On the other hand, DNA by itself is just a macromolecule, not a living thing and it won't by itself come back to life.

When a grain of wheat is dryed in the sun for days, how can it still act as a seed the next season? Wouldn't all cells be dead in a dry seed?

Rather than considering whether something is strictly alive or dead and thinking that once it is not living it is irreversibly dead, you might want to consider the process of being alive and how that process could be suspended.
You could consider seeds as being in suspended animation (where the living processes of the cell(s) are not ongoing, but where they could be started up again.
This is similar to cells frozen down for preservation in a lab (typically in liquid nitrogen).

How can this happen? Plants evolved this ability over millions of generations because it allowed them to better survive (this is an ultimate type explanation, one of why the process evolved).
As long as the organization of a seed's cells is not irreversibly disrupted (such as membranes busted open and dissociated) a proper rehydration might allow it to return to normal living functioning. The highly evolved structure of the seed is there to allow this rehydration to happen (this is an adaptive trait for the plant).
A seed smashed by a hammer will not be able to do this because its structure has been irretrievably scrambled.

Are seeds lacking in all water? I am guessing not.
There are probably water molecules tightly associated with other molecules, like proteins.

Heating to too high of a temperature could destroy the cell structure or denature proteins. Either could result in death.

Likes musicgold, TeethWhitener and 256bits

1. How do bone dry seeds carry DNA?

Bone dry seeds carry DNA through a process called desiccation, which is the removal of water from an organism. During this process, the cells in the seed shrink and become dormant, preserving the DNA inside.

2. Can bone dry seeds carry DNA for long periods of time?

Yes, bone dry seeds can carry DNA for long periods of time, sometimes for hundreds or even thousands of years. This is due to the desiccation process, which prevents the DNA from degrading.

3. How is the DNA protected in bone dry seeds?

The DNA in bone dry seeds is protected by the desiccation process, as well as by the hard outer coating of the seed, known as the seed coat. This coating acts as a physical barrier to protect the DNA from external factors.

4. Can bone dry seeds carry DNA from different species?

Yes, bone dry seeds have been found to carry DNA from different species, including plants, animals, and even bacteria. This is because the desiccation process can preserve DNA from a wide range of organisms.

5. How is DNA extracted from bone dry seeds?

To extract DNA from bone dry seeds, scientists use a process called DNA extraction. This involves breaking open the seed and isolating the DNA using various chemical and physical techniques. The extracted DNA can then be studied and analyzed for research purposes.