How Can Energy Band Over Lap?

• Thread starter abdullahbameh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Band Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy band overlap and whether it is possible for different energy bands with different quantum numbers to overlap. The conversation concludes that it is possible for energy bands to overlap, as long as the bands do not have the same quantum numbers. The Pauli exclusion principle states that states with the same quantum numbers cannot be occupied by more than one particle.
abdullahbameh
How Can Energy Band Over Lap?!

MY question is when i read energy band over lap i thought it is coming because of the huge number of atoms and the small distance between them but is it possible that energy bands of differnt energy bands get over lap and they are have different quantuam numbers?
and what does happen to the energy lap when it get over lapped with another energy band?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is "Energy band" overlap not "Energy" overlap, so it is ok when the bands--which origin from different energy level from a single atom -- overlap,:). So, don't worry about the Pauly exclusion principle, these bands of energy levels will re-allocate the specific energys

Not exactly sure if I get the question, but I'll give it a try. Energy is not the only quantum number. Another -and closely related- quantum number is the wave vector (akin to momentum). If you take a look at the 2nd diagram on http://www.doitpoms.ac.uk/tlplib/semiconductors/images/bandsoverlappingnolabels.jpg
you'll see an example of what I think you meant by an energy band overlap (particle physicist here, so I am not familiar with the solid state physics terminology). As you can see, there is regions for the two bands that have the same energy, respectively. However, there is no point where any two points in the different curves had the same coordinates/quantum numbers (E,k). The Pauli principle only forbids double-occupation of states that are equal in all quantum numbers.

1. What is energy band overlap?

Energy band overlap refers to the situation where two adjacent energy bands in a solid material overlap, creating a continuous range of energy levels that electrons can occupy. This overlapping of energy bands is an important factor in determining the electrical and thermal properties of a material.

2. How does energy band overlap affect a material's conductivity?

The extent of energy band overlap in a material can greatly affect its electrical conductivity. Materials with a large energy band overlap tend to have higher conductivity because the electrons have more available energy levels to move through. In contrast, materials with little or no energy band overlap have lower conductivity as there are fewer energy levels for the electrons to move through.

3. What causes energy band overlap?

Energy band overlap is caused by the arrangement of atoms and electrons in a material. In a solid material, the electrons are confined to specific energy levels, and the arrangement of atoms can determine the spacing between these levels. If the spacing is just right, the energy bands can overlap, creating a continuous range of energy levels.

4. How does energy band overlap affect a material's thermal properties?

The extent of energy band overlap in a material can also affect its thermal properties. Materials with a large energy band overlap tend to have higher thermal conductivity, as the overlapping energy bands allow for more efficient transfer of heat. On the other hand, materials with little or no energy band overlap have lower thermal conductivity and may act as thermal insulators.

5. Can energy band overlap be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, energy band overlap can be controlled or manipulated through various methods such as doping, applying external electric or magnetic fields, or changing the material's crystal structure. These techniques can alter the spacing between energy levels, thus affecting the extent of energy band overlap and ultimately changing the material's properties.