Improving Your Math Skills: Tips and Tricks for Success

• Thread starter wls_3.14
  • Start date
In summary: And if you still have trouble, ask a tutor. There are many excellent tutoring services available. In summary, if you are struggling with math, you should practice, exercise, and have a passion or desire for the subject.
wls_3.14
I am not, by nature, a math whiz. However, I am, by nature, an English whiz. I have learned to like math a lot better than I did in high school, but I have been in remedial math courses for the past two years of community college. I really want to be able to go into higher math courses, but I am not confident in my math skills. Are there any tips, tricks, or advice that anyone can give me that will help me succeed in mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do exercises- do lots and lots of exercises.

Question: "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?"
Answer: "Practice, practice, practice!"

Kind of hard to give really general advice like that. Different people will face very different challenges. If you are in remedial classes, it's hard for me to say because I never found basic math to pose any significant difficulties. At that level, I think having a good tutor would be one of the best things you could do because if you have trouble with basic stuff, you need a guide to set you straight when you make mistakes and get you thinking in the right way. It's kind of like having training wheels. Most of the things that are essential advice for success later on are things that are based on the assumption that you are very independent-minded, questioning, and like to think for yourself. Eventually, that's what you want to aim for, and you can start trying to take that attitude when you can, but, you're likely to need the "training wheels" to some extent before you can really take off. It won't happen overnight.

do the basics and master it, exercise a lot, have a passion or desire or love for it.

Well, I have been very good at math for a while, but I have not always been. At one point, I was horrible in math and quite confused because I did things in the exact way that my instructors told me. For some reason, I started figuring out how to work with mathematical problems in my own way, and this is the point at which I began to have an aptitude for math. So that's my suggestion for you: just try to figure out a way of working problems that makes sense to you.

1. How can I improve my understanding of basic math concepts?

One way to improve understanding of basic math concepts is to practice regularly. This can include solving problems, working through example exercises, and reviewing material consistently.

2. What resources can I use to help me with challenging math problems?

There are a variety of resources available to help with challenging math problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. It's important to find the resources that work best for you and to seek help when needed.

3. How can I stay motivated while studying math?

Setting specific and achievable goals, breaking down larger concepts into smaller steps, and rewarding yourself for progress can help with motivation while studying math. It's also important to take breaks and not get discouraged when facing challenges.

4. What are some effective study techniques for math?

Some effective study techniques for math include practicing problems and equations, using flashcards or other visual aids, and working through problems with a study partner. It can also be helpful to review material regularly, rather than cramming all at once.

5. How can I overcome math anxiety?

Math anxiety can be overcome by building confidence through practice and positive self-talk, seeking help when needed, and reframing negative thoughts about math. It can also be helpful to find real-world applications for math concepts and to remind yourself that mistakes are a natural part of the learning process.