Be Nice to Your Boss: How to Succeed Without Seeming Tody

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to find ways to be nicer to their boss and improve their relationship. They have previously made some negative remarks but now want things to go smoother. They are willing to suffer to be a "nice guy" but are worried about becoming a "toady." Suggestions include being less mean, doing what the boss asks without question, and avoiding making negative comments.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
To my boss, since all my plans to escape from this place have come to nothing, and i may be here for some time yet, i thought i should try to be nicer to my boss'es, trouble is i do not know how, i have got away with some serious remarks in the past, it is not that i am afeared of them any more now than in the past, it is i would like things to go a bit smoother,
so how can i be nicer to them whithout seeming to be toady.
I know i will hate myself after a week or two of being Mr nice guy, but i am willing to suffer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Happy, smiling employees are like that because they're embezzling something.

Rach3 said:
Happy, smiling employees are like that because they're embezzling something.

I know my name can be linked to an old time outlaw, but i do not want to become a hood :biggrin:

Just be mean to them less.

Do what they ask without question or comment. That would probably be a good start.

wolram said:
I know my name can be linked to an old time outlaw, but i do not want to become a hood :biggrin:
Marlow Hood - that was a bad rascal! Didn't he get hanged for overstating profits? In for a penny, in for a pound/

turbo-1 said:
Marlow Hood - that was a bad rascal! Didn't he get hanged for overstating profits? In for a penny, in for a pound/

No you have picked the famous side of my family :frown: none of them got hanged AFAIK.

1. How can I be nice to my boss without seeming like a "tody" (suck-up)?

Being nice to your boss does not necessarily mean being a "tody" or a suck-up. It's important to be genuine and sincere in your interactions with your boss. This can include showing appreciation, being respectful and professional, and offering to help or support them in their work.

2. What are some ways to succeed without seeming like I am trying too hard?

One way to succeed without seeming like you are trying too hard is to focus on your own performance and goals, rather than constantly seeking validation or approval from your boss. Additionally, consistently producing high-quality work and actively seeking opportunities for growth and development can help you succeed without coming across as trying too hard.

3. How can I build a good relationship with my boss without overstepping boundaries?

Building a good relationship with your boss involves finding a balance between being friendly and professional. This can include getting to know your boss on a personal level, but also respecting their time and boundaries. It's important to communicate openly and respectfully with your boss to establish and maintain a healthy working relationship.

4. Is it important to be nice to my boss even if I don't like them?

It is important to maintain a positive and professional relationship with your boss, even if you don't necessarily like them. This doesn't mean you have to be best friends, but treating them with respect and kindness can help create a more positive work environment for everyone.

5. Can being nice to my boss actually help me succeed in my career?

Yes, being nice to your boss can have a positive impact on your career. Having a good relationship with your boss can lead to more trust, better communication, and potentially more opportunities for growth and advancement within the company. It can also create a more positive work environment, which can ultimately lead to increased job satisfaction and productivity.